Friend of Ferals Award Badge - Apply Here

artemis214

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I once bought a tent that was made for dogs, and put it up on the porch.  There were several cats that would go inside when it rained.  Made me so happy. :)

If ur interested, maybe just google 'Pet tent", and go from there ?

oscarangel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is my story - my 2 beastie boys Oscar and Angel came into my life after I lost my beautiful companion of 14 years Brat. Her full name was Ninja Brat the ginger cat ! She pretty much adopted me,because of my lifestyle - living and working in the bush in game lodges - pets were never really an option but I was working in a restaurant at the time and one of the waitresses found this tiny ball of ginger fur in the carpark, She brought  this little creature in who promptly curled up and fell asleep on the bar and that was me,I was in love! Definitely a stray and very possibly a feral because there were a few feral gingers living around the restaurant.  I called her Ninja Brat because she used to escape from my flat when I went to work and go visiting the neighbors. Often I would come home to an empty flat and a note from whomever she was with that day to let me know she was okay.

She traveled all  round the country with me and I never had to worry about her running off when we got to a new place, as long as I was there she was fine. We spent 3 years on a game farm and used to go for walks in the bush every Sunday,she handled seeing her first warthog very well and didn't even run away! She used to come and greet me when I came home from work everyday with her beautiful ringed tail sticking straight up in the air quivering. I thought I had lost her the night I came home and found that my cottage had been broken into and she was nowhere to be seen even after spending hours walking around the property calling for her.She eventually came home around 2 in the morning and boy was I happy to see her and so relieved that she had found her way home.

Then last year around Easter time she went off her food which was very unlike her so I took her to the vet. She had a hernia on her side from being chased out of a 2 storey window by some dogs some 6 years back, I had it checked out by a vet and it never bothered her so we decided just to leave it be. After doing some x-rays they decided to operate and found that the hernia had pushed through the stomach wall and because she was overweight the fat was causing all sorts of complications and her intestine had been blocked. She never really recovered, the vet diagnosed her with CKD and after a few months of trying to get her to eat - anything at all but she wasn't even interested in tasty treats like tuna or chicken breasts or sardines, feeding her with a syringe with special kidney diet food and a natural remedy that helped with the nausea,she lost so much weight and became this little ghost who drifted around my cottage, the syringe feeding became more and more difficult, she never scratched or bit me she used to just put her paw up and push my hand away as if to say no more please. It got to a point where I just couldn't do this to her anymore, she was so unhappy, I was crying all the time begging her to please eat something so I had to make the decision and let her go. It was the worst thing I have ever done in my life and I was a bit of a basket case after that. 

Then about 2 months later my friend who has been the one rescuing as many feral kittens as she can and hand rearing them told me that I was going to adopt these 2 brothers and they saved me.

So I got them just when they were old enough to eat food as opposed to being bottle fed, these 2 fierce little creatures. I had them in my bedroom for 3 weeks, I had to seal up any means of escape from me so my bed, cupboards and any piece of furniture they could hide under was shored up with blankets. Whenever I came into the room they would take cover so I would bring in their food and rattle the dish to let them know what was coming and then I would sit on the floor with them for hours so they could get used to my presence. I got a lot of advice from a website called alleycat.org. One of the things they suggested was to put their food bowl on my lap to encourage them to climb on me, well that was the first time they had come anywhere near me and it was probably the turning point. Before then I was beginning to despair and was preparing myself to accept the fact that they were never going to be friendly cats and I would probably only see them when they came in for food.

The scariest time was when I opened the bedroom door and let them explore the rest of my cottage, I was worried they would disappear under something and I would never see them until they wanted to be fed Then I left my sliding door open by mistake one day and these 2 little boys wandered out on my veranda,  it was like oh crap what do I do now! I didn't want to make a fuss so I just let them get on with it and prayed that they wouldn't take off when something scared them and someone must have been listening because they ran straight back into the cottage when my landlady's dog came wandering over.

They are very close, sleep on top of each other and always hanging out together, they get quite anxious if they don't know where the other one is and Oscar gets quite vocal and will keep talking until I get up and go look for Angel with him!   It has been awesome watching their personalities develop - Angel is definitely the more dominant one, he was always the one on top in their play fights but he is quite insecure and needs to be reassured quite a lot. Oscar is very laid back and loves to cuddle especially when they were smaller.  My favourite memory is of when they were a little bit more grown and I had Oscar stretched out alongside me under the duvet on the one side and Angel snuggled up under my arm on the other with them both purring their heads off - aaah heaven. Every now and then he will come to me when I am reading in bed and climb up onto my chest purring and want some love. They wake me as soon as it get light in the morning for breakfast which in the summer is anytime between 4.30 and 5 and they don't give up until I am up, often resorting to jumping on the bed and using me as a trampoline ! I dont know if anyone has seen the cartoon Simon's Cat on Facebook but he does a wonderful on of his cat trying to get him out of bed for breakfast - I can totally relate.

So that's my story and I feel blessed every day to have these 2 in my life.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Welcome to TCS @OscarAngel!

Thank you for rescuing Oscar and Angel. It's wonderful that they feel safe with you. We'd love to see some pictures of them too. You can post a picture thread in the Fur Pictures Only forum

Badge awarded, of course!

candlewitness

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've always been a friend to animals. When I was a little girl I would bring home animals who were hurt or needed a home. Somehow, all my life animals adopt

me. I have never bought an animal. They find me.

. I am now a senior citizen and a widow. I have two inside/outside cats. They mostly stay inside. They use a litter box and sleep with me. They are brother and sister.

Their names are Jack and Jill. They are a Siamese mix. Jack has no tail, so the vet calls him a Lynx. Jill looks Siamese and she is very vocal. I love them.

I have 9 ferals that live on my porch and I love them too. They all have names .They are all fixed. I had to trap them for that. They all have their own cat houses

that I made for them and I bought a thermostatically controlled water bowl for them so they always have water. They know their names and I have been taking

care of them for 4 years. They know Jack and Jill are my house cats and always give them respect. I have had two liters from Baby but since then she has been

fixed. Two survived and they are part of the colony. Three have died and that was sad but they have since been replaced with new ones. I have three that will

soon join the family when they get accepted. So, soon my cat colony will grow to 12. I feed the three when I see them but they are still too nervous to join the others.

That's how they all come to me, starving and afraid.  An acquaintance told me that I didn't need all these cats. I replied, I know, I don't need

them, but, they need me

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise

I've always been a friend to animals. When I was a little girl I would bring home animals who were hurt or needed a home. Somehow, all my life animals adopt

me. I have never bought an animal. They find me.

. I am now a senior citizen and a widow. I have two inside/outside cats. They mostly stay inside. They use a litter box and sleep with me. They are brother and sister.

Their names are Jack and Jill. They are a Siamese mix. Jack has no tail, so the vet calls him a Lynx. Jill looks Siamese and she is very vocal. I love them.

I have 9 ferals that live on my porch and I love them too. They all have names .They are all fixed. I had to trap them for that. They all have their own cat houses

that I made for them and I bought a thermostatically controlled water bowl for them so they always have water. They know their names and I have been taking

care of them for 4 years. They know Jack and Jill are my house cats and always give them respect. I have had two liters from Baby but since then she has been

fixed. Two survived and they are part of the colony. Three have died and that was sad but they have since been replaced with new ones. I have three that will

soon join the family when they get accepted. So, soon my cat colony will grow to 12. I feed the three when I see them but they are still too nervous to join the others.

That's how they all come to me, starving and afraid.  An acquaintance told me that I didn't need all these cats. I replied, I know, I don't need

them, but, they need me
Welcome to TCS! Thank you for taking such good care of the ferals
. They are very fortunate to have found you. Badge awarded, of course! ​

artemis214

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Candlewitness ~ 

It really warms my heart to hear stories like yours. :)

I rescued two brothers a couple of years ago, and they are inseparable.

I can't look at them without smiling inside and out. <3

There were 3 brothers, but a nasty neighbor man killed one of them with a sling-shot.  I cried for weeks.  I was renting a room at the time and I couldn't completely protect them.  Today I CAN.

We have to focus on the ones we can save.

My heart-felt prayers for you and your colony. :) <3

artemis214

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
OscarAngel ~

I know the pain of losing a Cat you've had in your life for so long. :(

I rescued a little white cat from the shelter's "death row", and she was my loyal little buddy for 18 years. 

We moved quite a few times during those years also, and I know what you mean.  She was fine as long as mommy was there.  'I' was her 'home", and she was mine.  My one real 'constant'.

I lost her just about one year ago, and still have a huge hole inside. :(

That's a long life for a kitty, so I try to focus on that.

God bless you and all your Cats.

Past, present ~ and future. :) <3

* And THANK YOU !!

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also rescue feral cats.

I don't even know where to start.  I have had up to 23 at one time.  All fixed with shots.  Currently I have 13.  I have had the same group of cats since 2000 or so. 

Some were adults when they came to be with me and some were young cats.

Jimmy and Star were my adult ferals that I love so much.  Jimmy is still doing great.  I got him from a little nun on this site quite a few years ago.  Not quite sure how many years as they run on together but it seems like it's 9-10 years.  Last year he finally let me start really petting him and holding him with no reservations.  I can completely wrap my arms around him and kiss him now with no problem IF he is on the back of one certain chair.  He tries to snag me when I quit and walk away now.  He purrs when he is getting love.  He is my absolute success story.

I have Jimmy, Snoopy, Hank, Biscuit, Rosie, Ally, Gussy, Pebbles, Cleo, Tink, Dovey, Wooly, and Annabelle.

Cleo is the oldest at 17.  I know i will lose her in the next year or so.  She is a loving affectionate feral cat with me and my husband.  People I know call her the invisible cat, because they have never seen her. Anyone who cares for feral know what I mean by that.

We had company recently and they were excited about seeing the ferals.  They came in and asked for the cats were.  NONE were there.  They are actually all invisible except to mine and my husbands eyes.  This is their forever home.

We live on 200 acres.  We have an enclosure for their safety net with a heated house inside it, but when it's cold or hot, I bring them in out house.

We have 4 dogs.  A boxer/pit mix and three little dogs.  Ferals trust my dogs before they trust the humans.  All the animals get along well and several sleep with the boxer/pit mix.  She is warm and they like her warmth.  She grooms the cats and would probably protect them if need be.

i don't know what else to say.  I love my ferals.  i don't plan on getting anymore.  There are none where we live and no stray dogs.  But I will never say never..

Jenn 

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Norachan -- here a couple of pic of my enclosure that's already here in my photos. They are not restricted to being only in the enclosure.  It is their safety spot.  I keep a brick in the doorway and have the gate chained around the brick to keep big predators out.  It is truly a safe zone for them.

They were lounging here eating a little.  The exit is right behind the white cat.  i have my porch swing in there for me.

They have two hanging barrels in it, besides their house,  because some prefer to be alone when they sleep.
They like their solitude.  They "had" a water hole I dug but I eventually took it out and planted a tree instead. .

This is the whole thing.  It has a little 100 sq ft building in it with heat. It is a total of 1200 sq feet.  It is covered over the top as well.  We used welded wire, 2x4,  and sucker rods that are buried about 18" in the ground.  It is approx slightly less than 7' high.  The frame is welded together.  I left one spot open in the middle for butterflies and birds.  I put a limb in one corner.  They like to sharpen their claws on it.  My husband build them a little gym too that you can see in this picture.

I love their enclosure.

Last edited:

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
@jcribbs  what an amazing story. Thank you for sharing the story and the pictures. It's truly inspirational.  

Badge awarded, of course. 

oscarangel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you Anne. I am honoured. Don't worry you will see lots of pictures, especially of Angel coz he is so phtogenic ! Try not to leave Oscar out the picture but its very hard taking good pictures of black cats !

oscarangel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
@Artemis214

Thank you for your lovely message. I still can bring myself to look at pictures of her yet because they make me cry.

I am sorry for the loss of your kitty.

Like you say I try to look on the positive side and feel very lucky that she was with me for so long and one day I will be able to have her photos on my wall.  

This is my BratCat or Sweetie Pie for short

candlewitness

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you for awarding me the feral badge. I will wear it everyday and I hope it will start conversations

about how others can help ferals! I'm very happy to have found you! Thanks 

ewg56

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a colony of ferals that I've been feeding for almost a year and a half now. It started when I moved into this apartment, and there were 3 cats roaming who looked hungry. As it got colder, I shared my cats' food with them. That was Tang (DLH orange tabby male), Tortie (DSH dark tortoiseshell female), and Dori (DSH black female juvenile, short for "Adorable"). Fast forward to February, and Tortie has kittens. Two males, Skeeter (DSH orange tabby) and Slinky (DLH black male). A black tom we named The Dark Knight (DLH black) had been showing up at the right time, and Tortie became pregnant again. She had kittens, only this time it was FOUR of them (one DLH orange tabby, the mini-me of Tang, a little black one with bits of white on the tip of his tail, feet, chest, and nose, and 2 black ones, one DSH, one DLH). 

Whew! Now I was feeding 10! Oh, but wait, there's more: a little dilute blue DSH female kitten showed up (this is Bonny, who is now an inside cat), and a DLH calico who was nothing but skin and bones and a LOT of matted fur. I called her Old Mama because I thought she was old, but once I got some meat on her bones, it seems she may only be 4 or so. Now her name is Mabel and she lives on my porch. She's not part of the colony, because Tortie is very particular about who gets to join her clan. 

I don't own a car, so getting them all TNR'd was a problem, but I finally caught a break last December. THe Spay Neuter Network did the 100 Spays of Christmas, and a wonderful volunteer came out with traps and drop traps and we got 7 of my colony fixed and ear tipped. Huzzah! Tortie lost the litter she was carrying, unfortunately. Mabel was tested and is clean and free of any bad diseases. The only ones who didn't get fixed were The Dark Knight, Tippy, and the 2 black kittens. Over the winter, we lost Tippy (a neighbor found him dead), and we haven't seen Tyler, the little orange DLH kitten since the first of January. 

All of my colony will let me pet them while eating. Slinky lets me pet him anywhere on the way to the food, and tries to trip me, lol. Since Tang was fixed, he's friendlier and will come eat while I'm standing there now. The Dark Knight actually joined all my other black cats and I was petting him while they were eating before I realized it was him. Mabel needs to come inside and be part of the indoor clan, and get shaved. Her fur is so matted. However, 4 inside cats in a 460sf loft apartment is already over the limit and a lot, and I'm not sure the others would have Mabel. I'd love to get her into a forever home. I think she was just a stray because I can actually pick her up for a short period and she is sweet and submissive and never scratches me on purpose. 

So, there you have it. My story of becoming a feral colony caretaker. I am registered with my city's shelter and my apartment manager is tolerant. Since they're all fixed now, I don't have any more kittens appearing. Unless the 2 black yearlings are females. I think they might be males. I thought Slinky was a girl, but he was not (too much long fur to see his nether region). 

THanks!

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise

I have a colony of ferals that I've been feeding for almost a year and a half now. It started when I moved into this apartment, and there were 3 cats roaming who looked hungry. As it got colder, I shared my cats' food with them. That was Tang (DLH orange tabby male), Tortie (DSH dark tortoiseshell female), and Dori (DSH black female juvenile, short for "Adorable"). Fast forward to February, and Tortie has kittens. Two males, Skeeter (DSH orange tabby) and Slinky (DLH black male). A black tom we named The Dark Knight (DLH black) had been showing up at the right time, and Tortie became pregnant again. She had kittens, only this time it was FOUR of them (one DLH orange tabby, the mini-me of Tang, a little black one with bits of white on the tip of his tail, feet, chest, and nose, and 2 black ones, one DSH, one DLH). 

Whew! Now I was feeding 10! Oh, but wait, there's more: a little dilute blue DSH female kitten showed up (this is Bonny, who is now an inside cat), and a DLH calico who was nothing but skin and bones and a LOT of matted fur. I called her Old Mama because I thought she was old, but once I got some meat on her bones, it seems she may only be 4 or so. Now her name is Mabel and she lives on my porch. She's not part of the colony, because Tortie is very particular about who gets to join her clan. 

I don't own a car, so getting them all TNR'd was a problem, but I finally caught a break last December. THe Spay Neuter Network did the 100 Spays of Christmas, and a wonderful volunteer came out with traps and drop traps and we got 7 of my colony fixed and ear tipped. Huzzah! Tortie lost the litter she was carrying, unfortunately. Mabel was tested and is clean and free of any bad diseases. The only ones who didn't get fixed were The Dark Knight, Tippy, and the 2 black kittens. Over the winter, we lost Tippy (a neighbor found him dead), and we haven't seen Tyler, the little orange DLH kitten since the first of January. 

All of my colony will let me pet them while eating. Slinky lets me pet him anywhere on the way to the food, and tries to trip me, lol. Since Tang was fixed, he's friendlier and will come eat while I'm standing there now. The Dark Knight actually joined all my other black cats and I was petting him while they were eating before I realized it was him. Mabel needs to come inside and be part of the indoor clan, and get shaved. Her fur is so matted. However, 4 inside cats in a 460sf loft apartment is already over the limit and a lot, and I'm not sure the others would have Mabel. I'd love to get her into a forever home. I think she was just a stray because I can actually pick her up for a short period and she is sweet and submissive and never scratches me on purpose. 

So, there you have it. My story of becoming a feral colony caretaker. I am registered with my city's shelter and my apartment manager is tolerant. Since they're all fixed now, I don't have any more kittens appearing. Unless the 2 black yearlings are females. I think they might be males. I thought Slinky was a girl, but he was not (too much long fur to see his nether region). 

THanks!
Welcome to TCS! What a lovely story - thank you for sharing! I hope you get the black kitties fixed too (even if they're males, it's healthier for them and for the rest of the colony). Sounds like you have a bunch of very lucky cats there - badge awarded!

rayd

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All my life I have taken in ferals They make the best cats. I wish most people understood that!!!

ewg56

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Welcome to TCS! What a lovely story - thank you for sharing! I hope you get the black kitties fixed too (even if they're males, it's healthier for them and for the rest of the colony). Sounds like you have a bunch of very lucky cats there - badge awarded!
Thanks! And be sure that I will get the rest of them fixed, just as soon as there's another 'event.' 

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
All my life I have taken in ferals They make the best cats. I wish most people understood that!!!
Welcome to our group and thank you for caring for ferals!

simnacher12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

My name is Patrick Simnacher and yes my wife and I are taking care of about 10 feral cats. We live in west Texas and do not have

cold weather Like the folks back east do. For us it is hard to turn our backs on God's creatures.

Thank you for this wonderful site, their is so many interesting stories. Again thank you.