Friend has kitty issue...

keycube

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Seriously, it really is a friend with the issue. I know how that always sounds/looks. :)

I'll make this brief, because kitty's behavior really isn't my question.

Friend took in stray.  Beautiful kitty, Pandora (see below).  She moved recently and the behavioral issue she has with her 3 kitty brothers (they chase her at times, she hides, and generally seems miserable) has my friend to the point where if she can find the one person who would make her the sole pet focus (read: lap kitty) of the home, she would re-home her.

Ironically, I took in one of this friend's kitties, Oscar, who was the main antagonist in her home at the time.  But it seems that Pandora isn't happy with any of her brothers.

I told her I would print her story here and see what transpires; maybe someone on the board knows someone that is kitty-less and thinks she is the cat's meow.  However...perhaps this is considered bad form on the board..?  Apologies in advance if so; if I didn't get the vibe from my friend that everyone (humans and kitties both) were somewhat desperate, I wouldn't be doing this.  So...apologies...or thanks...or both. :)

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh what a sweet face? Is it that her brothers are too rough in their play with her? Or she just doesn't like other cats period? How old are they? Was she introduced slowly to the other cats?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

keycube

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah, they are/were rough; Oscar was the worst, he would apparently chase her down and end up with a ball of her hair in her mouth.  Very random occurrences, too; it wasn't a constant thing.

From what I understand, she introduced them per the proper protocol, and things were fine for a while.  Then all hell broke loose.  I was responsible for looking after her pets a few weekends ago, and she was in her own room, but she is very sweet, just wants love and lap time. :(

She's older...I think she said the vet estimated that she's between 10 and 12.  The other males are all under 5, I believe. Maybe that makes a difference.  Maybe she's inherently skittish and she's giving off an "I'm vulnerable" vibe.  I don't know.  I just wish she could find someone looking for a sweet kitty.  A lone bedroom shouldn't be Pandora's future. :(

Last edited:

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yeah it does sound like the younger males are playing which then becomes rough/chase because she runs. It does seem like a home with no other cats or much more mellow cats would be better for her. She does seem like a sweet affectionate kitty but older kitties are more difficult to rehome. I hope that's not the case for your friend. Maybe some other members will come along with some suggestions. I hope a good solution is found for her.