Friend has a cat with severe litterbox issues - not sure what the best option is for the cat, but I'm trying to help.

kitter-cat-123

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The cat eliminates on everything and never uses the litterbox. This cat has been living in the bathroom for awhile now, but he is still creating a horrible mess even in this small space (peeing on the shower curtain and stuff). There are other animals in the house.

She was considering bringing the cat to the shelter, but this is a really scary option for her obviously.

What should we do?

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The first thing to do is get him to a vet. There may well be a physical cause.

I have a few questions. Is he declawed? How long has this been going on, and when did it start? What's his history? How old is he? Did this start in response to another animal? (Eg - is there a territory struggle?) What litter is your friend using? Has anything at all changed that may have precipitated this? How many litterboxes are there? Where are they situated? What boxes does he currently have access to?

In the meantime, these articles may help:
Litterbox Problems? Here’s Why You Should Call Your Vet – Cat Articles
How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide – Cat Articles
Cat Behavior Problems [What to do and what not to do] – Cat Articles
Stress in Cats – The Ultimate Guide – Cat Articles

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
One other question. Is this cat neutered? Since he is hitting the shower curtain I am wondering if he is spraying rather than urinating. And also, is the cat living in the bathroom because of his litterbox issues or other reasons?