Frida's Food Trials (Allergy/Ear Infection from the Demonic Planes)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rylka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I will take a pic of the poop tonight for reference...the things we do for the babes! And I will do some research of my own as well.
Four is a major handful! Thank goodness for working appliances - I would revolt if I had to wash that much every day
Tea absolutely has rules. That's actually part of the reason I don't bother in the morning, sleep is so much more appealing

Rylka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OK, the poop has been pretty much in line color-wise with the photo on catnutrition.org. Not finding many other photo references (gee, wonder why), but I'll still take a pic tonight.
I also found out the people make "cat poop treats/cookies" and have a new understanding of how weird people are. I mean, really? Why? Never mind, I don't want to know. I would like to forget I knew at all please.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I will take a pic of the poop tonight for reference...the things we do for the babes! And I will do some research of my own as well.
Four is a major handful! Thank goodness for working appliances - I would revolt if I had to wash that much every day
Tea absolutely has rules. That's actually part of the reason I don't bother in the morning, sleep is so much more appealing
Friend: So what did you get up to today?
You: Oh the usual. You know, worked. Did a little cleaning. Shopping.... took pictures of cat poop.
Friend: :running:
You: :dunno:

Yup they are lol. Long story short - I look after a feral colony. The girls were the last three that didn't have a home (Sisters) Summer of 2018 there were emergencies with two of them while I had just started a house reno, kitchen included, electrical etc. No choice. The third sister I simply could leave by herself. So in everyone came. About a month apart each. Had it not been for top notch ER care and the two regular vets I have that are hands down awesome - and especially this place. I don't think I could have managed. In fact I know I wouldn't have without the support here.

Sleep is very appealing!

OK, the poop has been pretty much in line color-wise with the photo on catnutrition.org. Not finding many other photo references (gee, wonder why), but I'll still take a pic tonight.
I also found out the people make "cat poop treats/cookies" and have a new understanding of how weird people are. I mean, really? Why? Never mind, I don't want to know. I would like to forget I knew at all please.
I can't find pictures of what I want to reference either - just regular food cat poop. The site I was looking at was catinfo.org (for raw / homemade catfood poop. I can't seem to find one on the site you've mentioned.

Okay on the poop cookies - wt^&*. Seriously? Oh man - sadly no you cannot unseen what you've seen. *shivers*

Okay time for a poop thread! Yup.

Last edited:

Rylka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow, you are a complete champion! I didn't even think of adopting until all the major house work was done. Though it doesn't sound like you had much of a choice to save those girls.

No structured play tonight, as roomie and her bf are watching TV and she has her cat out and about. Frida can't concentrate on playing and watching him at the same time, haha. The tolerate each other, but I don't think they'll ever be besties.
On a more sour note, roomie left her door open and I'm almost certain Frida got into the other food. She was scratching her ear so much I put more zymox on the outside, and I try never to medicate her at night (night is our bonding time, and is kind of sacred in my eyes for trust). Either way, I'll see what the vet says tomorrow, since she is also going to take a better look at Frida's ears while she's sedated.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Exactly - no choice. You'd be amazed what you can do with a hotplate and microwave! No running water would have been my breaking point. lol

HAHAH I'm picturing it. Frida with one eye sideways at him.

Dang nab-it about the food though. *sigh*

I like your scared time! She knows you're trying to help though. I have no doubt.

Let us know how the vet visit goes *my fingers and toes are crosses*

Rylka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
OK, Frida is at the vet's. The tech said they'd probably not get to her before noon cause of other procedures...and they're going to call me after the cleaning and before any xrays to give me a status report. I really, really hope she doesn't need extractions. I get that the techs have to prepare you for the worst case, but I'm more freaked out now, not less.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope not too as that's not going to help the food situation atm. GRR

I hope they clean her all up and look at her ears and say - "All good. Carry on momma!"

Rylka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Got Frida back from the vet and she had NO EXTRACTIONS!! Vet said her teeth cleaned up beautifully, and she did well with all stages of anesthesia.
The vet was very concerned about Frida's ears, however. I explained about how the itchiness and increased gunk coincided with access to roomie's cat's food and she agreed it sounded likely that was the cause. She even brainstormed ways to talk to my roommate about it haha. Vet is also doing a new cytology to confirm that the infection is still yeast only, and I'll be giving Mometamax drops for 2 weeks. Again.
Frida's acne was also pretty bad, so the vet cleaned her chin and I got new wipes to use with her acne ointment. I'm not as concerned about this. In the past it's cleared up pretty quickly with non-allergen food and the meds.

Rylka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Frida was "drunk" for a while after she got home, but has completely gotten over it this morning. She's still pissed about the vet visit though...she slept allll the way at the foot of the bed and wouldn't snuggle at all till this morning.
I ended up feeding her about 2/3 of what she normally eats for a day in 3 portions last night - not surprising that she was so hungry after having to fast for basically 18 hours for the dental procedure. Made a new batch of homemade and she ate a bit of that straight, no mixing or topper!
Speaking of her food, the ground sirloin I used yesterday has an even better protein/fat ratio so that's nice. As best we could tell (squirmy kitty!) she's lost about an oz over the last 2 weeks. So yay no more gaining, but not enough loss for the time. I'm going to reduce her intake by about 20cal/day and check in another 2 weeks. So...more math 😭
Her right ear already has a bit of gunk even with the cleaning yesterday. I've treated it with mometamax and will continue to monitor it. I really, really hope keeping her to her own food and the meds will clear it up fast. They shaved her chin so treating the acne will be that much easier.

Rylka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Frida is still at peak head tossing and ear scratching. It hasn't been this bad in months...and all the fur around her right ear that had finally grown back is gone again :(
I gave her her daily dose of Mometamax in her right ear, Zymox otic in her left, and the other Zymox cream on the outside of both. As well as her morning acne treatment. By the time we were done she was looking at me like I had ruined her ENTIRE LIFE FOREVER...which took about an hour to get over after she finished breakfast.
I've been thinking about how far we've both come in giving her the treatments...when this started I was terrified, she was terrified, and it was this comical process that involved me following her around the house (sometimes for AGES), finally getting her somehow, then having to put her between my legs/scruff her lest she squirm away, and her hiding for hours afterwards. Now she makes a token attempt to run when she sees me coming "with purpose" and complains loudly the whole time. Afterwards she gives me dirty looks and tucks into breakfast. I guess we really can get used to anything.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Frida was "drunk" for a while after she got home, but has completely gotten over it this morning. She's still pissed about the vet visit though...she slept allll the way at the foot of the bed and wouldn't snuggle at all till this morning.
oh she was mad at yoouuuuu. :cloudy:

I ended up feeding her about 2/3 of what she normally eats for a day in 3 portions last night - not surprising that she was so hungry after having to fast for basically 18 hours for the dental procedure. Made a new batch of homemade and she ate a bit of that straight, no mixing or topper!
YAY! No topper!!!

Speaking of her food, the ground sirloin I used yesterday has an even better protein/fat ratio so that's nice. As best we could tell (squirmy kitty!) she's lost about an oz over the last 2 weeks. So yay no more gaining, but not enough loss for the time. I'm going to reduce her intake by about 20cal/day and check in another 2 weeks. So...more math 😭
Her right ear already has a bit of gunk even with the cleaning yesterday. I've treated it with mometamax and will continue to monitor it. I really, really hope keeping her to her own food and the meds will clear it up fast. They shaved her chin so treating the acne will be that much easier.
LOL Math is fun! Math is your friend. :frustrated:

Poor Frida. :-(

Frida is still at peak head tossing and ear scratching. It hasn't been this bad in months...and all the fur around her right ear that had finally grown back is gone again :(
I gave her her daily dose of Mometamax in her right ear, Zymox otic in her left, and the other Zymox cream on the outside of both. As well as her morning acne treatment. By the time we were done she was looking at me like I had ruined her ENTIRE LIFE FOREVER...which took about an hour to get over after she finished breakfast.
:bawling2: What the helk is going on with her.

It's amazing how fast they get over it. They never forget - but they forgive. Luck for us on that last part!

I've been thinking about how far we've both come in giving her the treatments...when this started I was terrified, she was terrified, and it was this comical process that involved me following her around the house (sometimes for AGES), finally getting her somehow, then having to put her between my legs/scruff her lest she squirm away, and her hiding for hours afterwards. Now she makes a token attempt to run when she sees me coming "with purpose" and complains loudly the whole time. Afterwards she gives me dirty looks and tucks into breakfast. I guess we really can get used to anything.
I really believe that they know we are trying to help. At first I think it's confusion and OMG what are they doing?! Then they start to feel a bit better and I truly believe something in them registers that it's to help them.

You guys really have come a long way! You should be proud.

XOXOXO

Here's is too continued success, however slow, and eventual victory! :bouquet::cheerleader::goldstar:

Rylka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So I'm heading out to visit family for the next few days...I have a very good friend of mine looking after her (she's also a pro cat sitter so that helps!) but I'm torn up about it. This isn't the first time I've traveled from her, but it is the first since she's started having the health issues.
I gave her her mometamax and acne treatment today, and the sitter will give her the ear drops till I get back. Her acne can wait, and it's stress enough to have a new person and the drops without adding anything else to that.
I gave Frida her Xmas gift early - a new, giant cat tree! I also installed a camera in her room cause I am a helicopter cat parent now and want to be able to check in on her all the time. It'll be OK. Just keep telling myself that and I'll be back soon.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sure she'll be in good hands by the sounds of it. (Won't stop you from worrying though) - I understand. XOXOXO

The camera will give you comfort to be able to see her - is it one you can talk to her on?

LOL@ helicopter parent. Yup. So get that!

Have a wonderful time. Happy holidays!

XOXOX

Last edited:

Rylka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes! I got 2 of the Wyze cameras, though I've only set up one so far. I tried to talk to her through it and it freaked her out, lol
Happy Holidays to you as well! :heartshape:

Rylka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Back home! Got in late last night, and I could not wait to see my girl again. And after she snubbed me for a few minutes to let me know how mad she was, she jumped right into bed with me and cuddles galore ensued. I am such a sucker for her. She likes to lay by my head and by my legs, and she'll switch it up a few times a night. So I'll often end up waking up when she moves, and she knows she'll always get some pets from me in my half-asleep daze.
She was super energetic this morning, but I...was not...so I let her run around for a while before food and meds. Her ears are looking so much better, and although she's still shaking her head it's not even half as much as before I left. Her chin is also almost acne-free, even without having the sitter treat it while I was gone (I felt like it was too much to inflict on them both, and it was just four days). So I just put the drops in her ears and left her chin be.
On the food front, the sitter was feeding just canned with the freeze-dried topper, and I took us back to homemade/canned mix today. I'd really like to get her over to homemade only, but it looks like my ustew order from Dec 20 hasn't shipped yet, which means I don't have enough from the smaller packet to go 100% before it arrives. In the meantime, I'm going to check out a "specialty" pet store that carries some of the fancy brands and do ingredient/price comparisons over there. Might even try out a bit of frozen commercial raw depending on what they've got.

Rylka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So it turns out they did ship my ustew order...because I got it today. Just never updated the order status 🤷🏽‍♀️
Downside is that means I definitely have to finish cleaning out the fridge and freezer.

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome home!

Glad that things were well with the sitter while you were gone...and YAY on the acne!

LOL though at freezer clean out - oh yeah - not fun! I have to do the same soon. Dreading it.

Rylka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So ears were looking even better today! I'm really hopeful that they clear up completely soon. It was a no poop kinda day, though I'm pretty sure she went not long after I cleaned her box.
I made it to the fancy pet store, and the employee was very nice and informative on raw feeding and single protein options. I ended up buying a bag of the small batch beef sliders to try out. Since Frida has been so much better about finishing her meals in a timely fashion I figure now is as good a time as any to incorporate some raw...without buying a grinder or a different premix. This is not helping the freezer situation though, lol.
Tried for some "quality time" between roommate's cat and Frida and it didn't go great, though not terribly either. They're separated again now, and I'm pretty sure at this point they're never really going to be friends. They both want to own all the spaces, and that just isn't how life works, kids.

Rylka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Flubbed on dinner timing last night...we both ended up falling asleep watching TV and I woke up like two hours after what should have been dinner. Frida wasn't in the least concerned anyway - she didn't wake up until after I had put her food down :lol: Quickly and groggily plated the last of my homemade batch and zonked back out. This morning I decided to try adding in one of the smallbatch sliders. Not sure how long I thought it would take to defrost in warm water, but it was waaaaayyyyy too long for Frida. Rushed it a little too much and she was not happy to have a cold-ish breakfast. /sigh, live and learn I guess. Next two sliders are defrosting in the fridge, so that should make for an easier lunch and dinner.
I think we've finally reached the infection turning point. Both Frida's ears look almost gunk-free, and she has no new acne at all. I've got fingers crossed that this is truly the breakthrough we've been waiting for.
I'm so tired today, with so much to do. My roommate's cat was making his signature dying Wookie noises pretty much all night, and then into this morning. I went in to check on him and his food and water were pretty much empty (she free feeds). Refilled them and gave him some love; he's got the run of the house for a bit in hopes that he will at least give yodeling practice a break...but no luck yet.