Freya keeps going into the basement

FreyaTheKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We got a new house! It's a lovely house, Freya seems to like it to, with how often she races up and down the stairs. For some reason however she just seems ATTRACTED to the basement, and we can't keep her from going down there because the stairs are wide open with no door. She's eating and drinking just fine otherwise, she just goes down there a whole bunch. There's nothing down there at her height(and again, she doesn't know she's a cat and she can jump high), so there's no worry about any harm coming to her. Is it just exploring? It's not a very big basement, so there isn't much to explore.

hbunny

Cat herder - Pooper Scooper
Super Cat
Purraise
It could be the smells there are what interest her the most.  Most basements at one point or another have mice, could it be she is highly interested in the smells?

I had a few mice at one point in my house (they came in with a new refrigerator delivered!!) and the cabinet where they hid is a continual check-point for one of my cats.  I'm wondering if she is maybe just fascinated with the smells in the basement, that there is a probability of her finding meeces down there!