Freya Is Starting To Scare Me

FreyaTheKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Either she's intelligent or dumb with a huge creativity streak to her. I've taken to taking baths in the early mornings when I can't sleep (yay rest less legs syndrome!), Freya usually joins me in the bathroom, so I think nothing of it when she ran in with me today... And so she hops in the tub, I figure she's just playing in the tub like she usually does, so I start to undress when I noticed... She was crouching over the drain, like squatting... And I realized she was peeing down the drain... She actually stopped to check and make sure she was positioned over the drain before she peed.

I can't tell if I should be grossed out or impressed with her. Is this normal behavior? Her box is clean and not impeded.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
It's not that unusual. If I leave the bathroom door open one of mine will run in there and pee over the drain. Something about the dirty water, soap and cleaning products going down there must make it smell like the right place to pee.

At least it's easy to clean.

;)

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's not "normal", but it is impressive! I wouldn't discourage it. Like Verna said, you'll save a fortune on cat litter!

Almost thirteen years ago, I fostered (and ended up adopting) two 7 month old orange tabbies. My senior cat at the time was not happy at first and kept angrily trying to keep the kittens from using the litter boxes. They ended up using the bathtub in the guest bath as the next best thing to kitty litter. (After a couple weeks, everyone calmed down and got along...and the kittens were "allowed" free box access.) I will say that the tub was easy to clean.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Either she's intelligent or dumb with a huge creativity streak to her. I've taken to taking baths in the early mornings when I can't sleep (yay rest less legs syndrome!), Freya usually joins me in the bathroom, so I think nothing of it when she ran in with me today... And so she hops in the tub, I figure she's just playing in the tub like she usually does, so I start to undress when I noticed... She was crouching over the drain, like squatting... And I realized she was peeing down the drain... She actually stopped to check and make sure she was positioned over the drain before she peed.

I can't tell if I should be grossed out or impressed with her. Is this normal behavior? Her box is clean and not impeded.
Euw!

I've not had this problem with any of my cats, but they all have liked to play in the tub. That is, until I put some grippy safety stickers on the base of the bathtub, so that humans could shower more safely. The cat did not like that at all, and she has since pretty much avoided the bathtub. You could try that.