Freya - 2006(?) - February 23rd, 2013

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
 I’ve stewed about writing this for the last few days, but I figure I’m doing my girl a disservice by putting it off for fear of not saying what I want to, exactly right. What can you say about a cat who’s had such a huge impact on your life?

Freya literally came with my first house. Mike and I married bought our 100 year old fixer-upper in  the summer of 2006. On the second day we owned the house, I was standing on the back porch with my mom when we heard a loud meowing, then a scrawny, starving little cat popped out from under the porch and set about chattering at us. As far as cats go, she was a wreck. Two thirds of her tail were dry, bony, and hairless (necrotic, I later learned), one eye was clearly injured and she was so skinny that if you picked her up, you could feel her little organs working under the skin. She had huge paws. We weren’t really prepared to adopt a cat, but she was clearly prepared to adopt us. We fed her a can of tuna and decided if she was still around in the morning, we’d talk about keeping her. The next morning, she joined Mike for breakfast on the porch; chattering the whole time and stealing milk from his cereal. We called her Freya, thinking it suited her loving nature and her battle scars at the same time and booked her first vet visit. $2000, a spay surgery, tail amputation, vaccinations, and a trip to the emergency vet because we’d never seen a cat in heat, and we owned a cat.

Freya was my little tabby ball of attitude. She chattered constantly, had an opinion on everything, always had to have the last word and never quite accepted Mike as outranking her in the family hierarchy. She was a horribly picky eater – took us forever to find food that wouldn’t upset her stomach, and she hated change. When we first bought the house, we had no living room furniture, so we took the back bench seat out of the van and used it as a couch. 3 weeks later when the actual couch arrived, we move the van seat into the dining room as a reminder to take it back out and found a surly little cat sitting on it almost non-stop for the next few days, glaring at us and holding on to it with those giant paws.

Freya was one of those cats who needed company, but she was terrified of other cats. Our solution was to find her brother, Cotton. A friendly cat who was so quiet and inoffensive himself, that she couldn’t possibly be scared of him. When she first met him, she hissed, and he ran and hid behind a computer desk. She seemed surprised by this and went over to check on him looking for all the world like she was saying “Ummm...you okay? I didn’t really mean it”. They were best friends after that.

You couldn’t make the bed without tripping on Freya. You couldn’t wrap Christmas presents without her help and input. She loved to drink water out of the Christmas tree stand and would get stoned from the smell of menthol. Freya hated to be held, but the night we lost her brother, she crawled into my arms, screwed her eyes shut tight and lay like he used to. Her little body completely tense, but giving me this look of “I can do this for you once, but you really need to find someone else for this cat-task.” When we brought his urn home, she curled up with it for hours. She would hide behind things in the dark and jump out at you if she was bored. Watching you jump seemed to amuse the heck out of her.

She was our caretaker. Every kidney infection I had resulted in her curled up against my kidneys, keeping them warm. Every cold or flu was spent with a toasty ball of tabby tucked behind you knees.

She passed peacefully from this world on February 23rd, before the cancer could take away the quality of life she lived so fully. She was somewhere around 8 years old.

I could go on forever. She was my heart-cat. She was our first cat. She was my Freya.

Rest peacefully, sweetheart.

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful tribute! I feel as if I know Freya and I too feel your tremendous loss.
 You said she died peacefully and didn't suffer, I would have hated for such a beautiful cat to suffer too long. She had such a wonderful family to have taken her in. She knew she was loved very much. Please take care and remember that only time is going to help lessen your great loss. Someday you will remember her with a smile instead of tears, she will live forever in your hearts. RIP little Freya, the Rainbow Bridge has gained another beautiful angel!

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What a wonderful, special cat Freya was. Your tribute shows how much love there was. Lots of hugs during this painful time. I'm so very sorry for your loss, but you can take some comfort in knowing you provided the best life for Freya that she could possibly have had.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Freya sounds as if she was a real character and will be terribly missed for a long time. RIP, little girl, you were loved so much. Run and play with Cotton forever.

loverly7

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful tribute to a much loved kitty.  Freya was absolutely gorgeous.  I'm so glad that you took her in and loved her so well.  My heart breaks with yours, as after reading your tribute I feel that I lost her too.  Hugs to you in this sad time.  RIP, sweet Freya, you are dearly missed...

Hugs,

Amy

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a beautiful tribute!  RIP sweet Freya

Abby still loves the fake fur wand that Freya and Cotton gave to her one Christmas.  Spencer and Katie love Da Bird, but Abby has always preferred the furry wand toy. When she catches it she grabs it, hugs it and rubs her face all over it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
What a beautiful tribute!  RIP sweet Freya

Abby still loves the fake fur wand that Freya and Cotton gave to her one Christmas.  Spencer and Katie love Da Bird, but Abby has always preferred the furry wand toy. When she catches it she grabs it, hugs it and rubs her face all over it.
Awwww...so cute! This really makes me smile. I remember that wand - I'm so glad she likes it.

Thank you, everyone. I don't doubt for a moment that we made the right decision, but I really miss my little girl...she was such a big part of my life. 

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You definitely made the right decision, since she told you she was ready to go...you mentioned that in your other thread
.  it's so hard to do that, but it's the greatest gift we can give them.

She was certainly a character, and I know how much you will miss  her. 

Play happily with Cotton, and all the others at the bridge, Freya 

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Having to write a thread in here must be just as heartbreaking as having to say goodbye

It's quite obvious that Freya was a well loved little girl, but she'll be healthy again now she's across the bridge 

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss. She was definitely a very special kitty. :hugs:

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What a special cat she was. The bond between you was so strong. Don't be surprised if you see her again. It happens.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
What a wonderful tribute to your little girl. :heart2: Cherish those good memories. :hugs: Rest in peace now, Freya. :angel:

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Words in my tiny english vocabulary aren´t enougth to say I´m so sorry for your unreapear loss..:(
My heart goes with you...:hugs: I´m sad that until today I can be able to be here for you my friend...:sniffle:
I know your pain...My beloved Horatio was taken from my hands still missing so deep to him BUT I have learned to live with the Hope that he´s on Heaven with all from TCS...:hugs:
RIP Freya, Meowme miss you so much here on earth...:sniffle:
:hugs:

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can't type for the tears in my eyes. :rbheart:

lesliecat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for your loss.  My favorite cat died recently so I can relate to your pain.  I'm so glad you wrote this beautiful tribute to her.  She deserved it.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is so sad to read about Freya, but she had a wonderful life with you and you gave each other so much.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aw hun, your tribute to Freya :rbheart: has me in tears. What a beautiful story and what a blessing she was in the special way she came into your life. Just amazing. I am so sorry you lost your special girl, Freya :rbheart: You were a great momma to her and she loved you so very much. Forever in your heart, soul and mind. Many beautiful memories to cherish. My deepest condolences. :hugs: :vibes:

Fly freely dear :rbheart: Freya :rbheart: You were a very special little being on this earth and you will be missed. :angel:

stealthkitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just want to add my condolences too. I'm so sorry you didn't have more time with Freya and that she left you after less than 8 years, but you were there for her when she needed it most and made a very tough decision that allowed her to have a happy life for as long as possible. She was a beautiful soul. Thank you for telling us about her.

Last edited: