Fresh blood around anus

chloe16

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I took Riley my 9 month old to the emergency vet this morning cause he was pooping blood mixed with poo (it was caught around his fur near his bum which is how I noticed it). I informed them when they asked about diet that I fed kibble (kirklands) and canned food at night (whatever flavor I happen to buy). He checked his glands said they were normal and then proceeded to tell me after I told him since switching all the cats to canned food only 1 cat has normal hard stools (Riley never has normal stools). He told me it was constipation or hairballs. Told me to switch him to Hills and gave me laxatone and told me not to give it if he has the runs only when hes constipated....he never has a solid stool so how could he ever get constipated. I want your opinions, he hasnt pooped since (that ive noticed), hes his normal active self and is still eating and drinking. Could this be the food causing it maybe I should take him off canned and keep him on just kibble?

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could well be the food but if I were going to make diet changes it would be the other way.  I would take him off the kibble and on all canned.  What kind of canned food are you feeding?

A cat can appear to have diarrhea and be constipated, it could be going around where he is constipated.  

This could be any number of things, I would take him to your regular vet to be checked over.  Cat ER's like human ER's aren't known for great diagnostics, it isn't what they are designed for.

Here is a really good article on proper nutrition for a cat that is written by a vet  http://www.catinfo.org/

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chloe16

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately he wont eat an all canned diet nor can I afford to feed an all canned diet. He only eats half a can and its at night, offer it any other time he wont eat it. Im feeding 6 cats, so I give everyone canned at night and kibble during the day.

pinkdagger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What about buying the big cans? I've found Pet Valu's Performatrin in the 13oz cans are a pretty good deal - they have a cheap brand called "Health Diet" too. It's not the greatest quality (very vague ingredients, both recipes I've tried contain fish, but it's grain free) but if you have a rotation going, it might be something you can add to cut costs while maintaining a wetter diet. When we were working towards an all wet diet, we used toppers to entice the cats to eat more wet food.

If you can get him to your regular vet for a more thorough examination, it could help as well. I'm always hesitant to agree with feeding a Hills diet unless there are very specific conditions that need to be managed, but constipation tends to be an easier condition to control through other means.

Totally off topic, but hey there fellow Niagara-ian!