Frequency of deworming and pros/cons of FELV vaccination

andreiamlm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi.

I have two lovely healthy boy cats, brothers from the same litter.

They are almost two years old.

A few days ago we went to the vet to take the annual vaccines and was told that as they are indoor cats the benefits of the FELV/FIV vaccination had to be weighed against the cons of the vaccine. I never heard anything before about the formation of tumors on the vaccine application area. 

So they were given the other normal vaccines except this one.

Now I'm feeling torn between having made the right decision or not.

Also I was told that deworming should be done every 3/4 months and the external desparasitation should be done monthly? (frontline or others)

THe last time they took a Comfortis pill as any drops are not an option they give each other longs baths so a pill is the only solution. They vomited and felt sleepy that day and worried me sick!

Is this normal?

So the cats are always indoors. We don't have a garden, Is it necessary to give them this heavy things each month?

Sorry if noob questions but I'm a bit worried here.

Thanks a lot!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats who never go outside unsupervised don't need the FeLV vaccine (and the FIV vaccine isn't recommended at all). The chances of them ever being exposed to FeLV are miniscule.

I don't see why housecats would need to be de-wormed every 3-4 months. If they went out and ate rodents and birds, sure, bot housecats just aren't going to be exposed to a lot of parasites. Once a year ought to be fine, or just when you see signs of worms.

You don't need to use flea meds unless there are fleas. But if you decide to skip the flea meds for a few months, keep a close eye out for any sign of fleas. You always want to catch them early so you don't end up with an infestation.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

andreiamlm

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thank you for your reply

I always thought that you would really give them the deworming or flea meds if they need it but multiple vets said that deworming every 3/4 months and flea meds every month!

My concern is that sometimes they scrath themselves and I don't really know if it's a normal scratch or more. I don't really see anything on their fur so giving them Comfortis again...it's such a strong thing.

Do you know if there is any alternative?