Freeze Dried Pumpkin

gmm80

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think most cat and dog parents know about using pumpkin puree to help with diarrhea symptoms, but last year I discovered freeze-dried pumpkin and I found when using for smaller guys like kittens, it's much more convenient than pumpkin puree. I always hated opening an entire can of pumpkin when I would only use a bit before it went bad. I know you can freeze it, but I'm just not that organized. The FD pumpkin costs more up front, but for me, it's much more convenient because I can just keep a bag on hand all the time. And for kitties who don't love the taste of pumpkin puree, you only have to mix a small amount of the FD in with canned food. I didn't see anything about it here when I did a search, so I thought I would mention it. This is the brand I use:

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Interesting :)

Pet stores do sell packets of pumpkin puree if one doesn't want to bother with a whole can from the supermarket. Weruva's Pumpkin Patch Up is one brand. A packet does cost more than a supermarket can but good if you only need to use it once in awhile.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Anyone just freeze teaspoons of pumpkin for future use? I get cans from the grocery store, which are cheap, but they always go bad before I use them up. I was thinking of just making little ice cubes, but I'm not sure if the kitties will like the quality after they defrost.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can put it in ice cube trays and freeze. Snap them out and put in a freezer bag and pull out what you need when you need it.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You can put it in ice cube trays and freeze. Snap them out and put in a freezer bag and pull out what you need when you need it.
That's the plan. Just wondered if anyone had experience with cats' reactions to the post-freezing quality.