Freeze dried cat food and Smalls

rsh916

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone new to this site and it is WONDERFUL!
I have 3 cats and have been feeding combo wet and dry. My male cat had an extraction of his tooth so had to put away the dry. This is my chance to get them off dry. Have been comparing and reading like crazy for a month now and just found this site. All of the cats go crazy for the duck duck goose and also the primal pork. My question is this do those of you that feed the freeze dried also feed something else? Your thoughts on freeze dried raw coated food any better than regular kibble? The reason I ask is to feed three cats as I am sure some of you know and have more the freeze dried exclusively would be about 350.00 a month. Should I just go with all freeze dried? Freeze dried and raw coated Kibble? Freeze dried and wet food? Also has anyone tried Smalls?
Sorry for all the questions

Rebecca

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your thoughts on freeze dried raw coated food any better than regular kibble?

IMO, no. It's just dry food with a coating to make it look like the food is healthier than regular dry food.

Same with dry food that contain raw pieces that costs more than regular dry. You can easily do the same by adding a few pieces of any freeze dried raw treat to a bowl of dry food.

Some people feed both raw (any kind / type) and canned food to the cats. It's kind of discouraged to feed both raw and dry food because raw food is quickly digested while dry food sits awhile. A cat might have tummy issues if dry food is still being digested while the raw is digested and ready to be moved along the intestines but can't because of the dry food.

Smalls has been discussed here on TCS.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I feed one of my cats strictly freeze dried raw (hydrated) and nothing else. Yes, it's expensive, but I am fortunate enough that I can afford it. I used to "make" their food by purchasing the meat, chopping it all up and adding a premix to it to make it complete. That was when I had several cats. Now I am down to two cats and my other cat won't eat wet raw food, will only eat it dehydrated, so I feed him 3 meals a day of canned food and his treats are dehydrated raw.

lisahe

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We feed lots of freeze-dried raw food, too -- our cats love it. We're one of the households where Primal pork is very popular!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello everyone new to this site and it is WONDERFUL!
I have 3 cats and have been feeding combo wet and dry. My male cat had an extraction of his tooth so had to put away the dry. This is my chance to get them off dry. Have been comparing and reading like crazy for a month now and just found this site. All of the cats go crazy for the duck duck goose and also the primal pork. My question is this do those of you that feed the freeze dried also feed something else? Your thoughts on freeze dried raw coated food any better than regular kibble? The reason I ask is to feed three cats as I am sure some of you know and have more the freeze dried exclusively would be about 350.00 a month. Should I just go with all freeze dried? Freeze dried and raw coated Kibble? Freeze dried and wet food? Also has anyone tried Smalls?
Sorry for all the questions

Rebecca
I LOVED the Stella and Chewys freeze dried food. Duck Duck Goose was a fav. here. I always did wet and freeze dried.

Our power goes out frequently here due to tornadoes, etc so raw is not feasible.

Instinct raw coat with freeze dried is good.

PS. Wishing you real and good luck as we had that opportunity with Nobel but he decided to go on what became a very dangerous hunger strike for dry food.

Luvyna

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feed hydrated freeze dried Primal raw, frozen Primal raw, homemade raw food, Instinct frozen raw bites, and Tiki Cat canned food on rotation for my kitten (trying to make sure he's accustomed to eating different types and textures of food so there are more options if he needs to change diets in the future). I would ideally feed just homemade raw food but I want to make sure that if I ever need to travel with him or anything he's fine with some kinds of shelf stable food like freeze dried and canned.

Would your cats accept frozen raw food (thawed at feeding, of course)? For Primal, the frozen patties are less expensive than the freeze dried because you pay extra for the convenience of the freeze dried. If you have the time, I've also found it's less expensive to make your own raw food in a big batch and freeze it - this would especially be the case if you have multiple cats.

I think raw coated kibble is maybe slightly better than regular kibble, but it's still mostly kibble.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
It's kind of discouraged to feed both raw and dry food because raw food is quickly digested while dry food sits awhile. A cat might have tummy issues if dry food is still being digested while the raw is digested and ready to be moved along the intestines but can't because of the dry food.
This is a debunked misconception. Kibble digests fastest because it’s the most processed, followed by canned, then raw. This would also explain why kibble produces a larger amount of stool more times a day. My family friends’ kibble fed cat poos 2-3 times a day, while mine poo every to every other day. Raw has higher digestibility, meaning more of it digests, but it takes longer to be digested :)