Free Feeding

TobyK

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Any suggestions on how to get a cat to eat at meals and not just anytime? There is a bowl of kibble out for her and the other cat. Thanks!

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried just picking the kibble plate off the floor?

You probably need to start with as many small meals per day as your schedule will tolerate, then slowly switch to fewer, larger meals until you get down to 2-4 meals per day.

LSpector

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had to switch to this after my previous kitty got prescription food. I found it is easier to transition if you use wet food because 1) in my experience, my cats tend to prefer wet food compared to dry kibble so they eat it faster, and 2) wet food can't be left out as long so they will learn to eat it right away. As they start to get into a routine, reduce the amount of wet food and replace it with dry. This method worked for me and my mom's cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TobyK

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had to switch to this after my previous kitty got prescription food. I found it is easier to transition if you use wet food because 1) in my experience, my cats tend to prefer wet food compared to dry kibble so they eat it faster, and 2) wet food can't be left out as long so they will learn to eat it right away. As they start to get into a routine, reduce the amount of wet food and replace it with dry. This method worked for me and my mom's cats.
Thanks!