Freaking Out- Kitten With Uri/possible Pneumonia

Lwebster60

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey everyone. I'm incredibly paranoid seeing that almost 3 months ago I dealt with my other kitten's sudden, heartbreaking death from FIP. I've since then gotten a new kitten, and yes everything in my house that belonged to my other kitten was discarded.

Last Tuesday, my now 3-month-old kitten Dallas wasn't acting his lively self and wasn't eating as heartily as he normally does. He was also blinking more than usual. I am very cautious so I decided to take him to the Vet on Thursday. In addition to having a tapeworm, the vet picked up on his blinking (a possible sign of a URI) and decided to do an x-ray. The x-ray showed he has a little bit of fluid in his lungs, so she prescribed him an antibiotic. If he doesn't get better by Thursday, we can take him back and they will put him in the hospital for pneumonia. It's been a few days and I'm not sure if it's working. He's been sleeping/resting a lot, yet he will still get up and explore things and occasionally run around the house. He is lightly grazing at his dry food, and doesn't touch his wet food even though I am warming it up for him. He is drinking a lot of water.

My following questions are:
1). How long can it take for an antibiotic to work for a kitten?
2). Are these signs normal for pneumonia or URI? Is it good Dallas is still interested in things and eating slightly?
3). How treatable is pneumonia?

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know the answers to your questions. I do know that a lack of appetite is extremely worrisome in a kitten, and can become dangerous very quickly. I would strongly recommend trying Dallas on some KMR (Kitten Milk Replacer - available at pet stores) or raw goat's milk, whichever is easier to get; at 3 months he's young enough that either one of these should count as comfort food for him. You can also try him on some human baby food, so long as it's meat and doesn't have any garlic or onion in it (read the ingredients very carefully). I don't know where you're located, but I think you should be calling your vet at the earliest opportunity and reporting your kitten's current condition. It may be worth taking Dallas to an emergency vet if your vet will be closed tomorrow.

Sarthur2 Sarthur2 ? StefanZ StefanZ ?

Margret

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Pneumonia full would take him more and quicker although there are surely also easier pneumoniad.
Go for raw goats milk if you can.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good you did threw the old gears.
My recommendation in ex FIP homes is, next cat should be an adult. As adults are less sensitive for FIP. they have also better immune system. The idealic is probably to adopt an ex-homeless / semiferale adult cat. Whom per definition have immune system above average. Not because "lotsa of fresh air and much exercise is good for your health", but because they are the survivors. These homeless with less than excellent immune system do perish before they become survivors....

Yes, what I fear as now its FIP again... We will see, you have also a good vet.
Lets hope its not.
Its possible to fight even against FIP, because I know some try. But its a fight uphill and many kittens dies however their owners fight for it.

Its one of the reasons (fear of FIP) I recommend strongly raw goats milk. Its no universal remedicum nor cure. But it comes from an alive momma, and has some immunological properties, which processed food doesnt have. So it gives sometimes an edge, and I hope - it may give an edge against possible FIP too.

Idea and "a theoretical novelty": Having access to a ex homeless cat momma whom lost her litter, or hers milk if she still has her litter, could possibly be the optimal. Just some drops could be enough. Say, pressed on a sponge, and taken directly to him.
New sponge for every time, not to risk any contagion if she is nursing any kittens (mommas with milk are often "reused" in the shelters).

L-lysine may help, cannot hurt. Although this is catching straws now.
L-lysine helps sometimes against calici-virus, its not known to help against other viruses, but but but.

Its these ideas I have for now.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Ps, if he doesnt want to eat, you will probably need to forcefeed him some with a small syringe.

Have also prepared pedialyte containing glucose sugar. Its useful in many situations, inclusive when they cant eat. The glucose sugar in pedialyte - bought or homemade, doesnt need to be digested, goes straight into blood already from the mouth.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Which antibiotic is your kitten taking?

Antibiotics can make the kitten very thirsty, and it is good that he is drinking. You can put clear pedialyte in the bowl instead of water.

Also, Gerber turkey or chicken meat baby food is excellent to try. Gerber puts no onion or garlic in baby food.

If your kitten has fluid in his lungs, that will cause him to feel sick and need more rest. It may take the full 10 days for him to get well. How many days has it been?

If he gets no better, he may need a second round of antibiotics, or even a stronger antibiotic.

You may want to get his lungs checked by the vet before Thursday to determine the progress.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lwebster60

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ps, if he doesnt want to eat, you will probably need to forcefeed him some with a small syringe.

Have also prepared pedialyte containing glucose sugar. Its useful in many situations, inclusive when they cant eat. The glucose sugar in pedialyte - bought or homemade, doesnt need to be digested, goes straight into blood already from the mouth.
With all due respect, I think it’s rather presumptuous to automatically assume it’s FIP off the bat. Everything has been cleaned in my house and the virus does naturally die off. It’s not as if my kitten isn’t eating at all. He is still eating, but not as heartily. My last kitten had stopped eating all together. This kitten is still showing interest in things where as my other kitten did not. Also my last kitten displayed signs of heavy breathing and a fever. He also was not gaining a lot of weight. Dallas’s breathing is normal, he has been gaining weight, and did not have a fever.

Lwebster60

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
And by “fluid in lungs”, I mean mucus.

Unfortunately I don’t know what antibiotic it is as the bottle doesn’t say what it is (my dad might have thrown the box out), but it’s been 4 or 5 days now.

Lwebster60

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have heard of kittens as well as kittens on here not eating at all and not even drinking water due to a URI. To assume it’s FIP off the bat is ridiculous, I’m sorry. I will take my questions to a VET.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Its possible I "jumped the gun",

You have

absolutely right medical question
are best to let your vet help you with.

Please come back with reports updates and new questions.