freaking out - CKF kitty with cardiac issue and FORL

stephanie42

TCS Member
Thread starter
Adult Cat
Joined
Mar 31, 2014
Messages
232
Purraise
21
Location
Long Island, NY
we discovered piglet was in mid-stage kidney failure about a year and a half ago - she needed dental work done and her blood work showed horrible kidney levels. during a consult for dental surgery, it was discovered she had feline odontoclastic resorptive lesions and all four canines needed to be removed. after two days in hospital, lots of fluids, and help from a wonderful staff, piglet was home with no canines and a new outlook on life. her kidney levels improved after the tooth removal - there was an infection that was making everything worse. after a couple of months of careful diet and lots of love, piglet's BUN, creatinine, and phosphorus levels evened out and she seemed pretty stable.

so now we found another tooth with an issue - looks like another resorption (she's already lost two molars prior to surgery). with her kidney issues, dh and i were really concerned about putting her through surgery again... the vet recommended that we remove *all* of piglet's teeth from canine back, so she'd only have those few teensy front teeth. the vet decided to do blood work to see how her kidneys were doing and, almost as an afterthought, advised the tech to run a test about cardiac enzymes (i'm guessing proBNP).

today the vet called back. piglet's kidney levels are pretty good - better than they were about 13 months ago. however, the cardiac test shows elevated enzymes which means there is something wrong with the heart muscle. vet said it could be thickening of the walls, issues with the valves, tons of different things. we were able to schedule an echocardiogram for tomorrow and a veterinary cardiologist will read the scans within hours. the vet also mentioned a potential surgery issue - piglet needs extra IV fluids for her kidneys and that will be detrimental to her heart... ugh. blood work also ruled out any thyroid issues or diabetes. piglet's weight has increased .3lbs - a few ounces but for a 9.3lb CKF cat, that's good.

has anyone had a CKF cat with heart issues? any advice, something i should look for, things to consider?
 

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Joined
Feb 27, 2015
Messages
12,920
Purraise
6,200
Location
The kitty playground
I have experience with heart disease, but not CKD. Bumping this in the hopes that someone with more experience will see it.
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #3

stephanie42

TCS Member
Thread starter
Adult Cat
Joined
Mar 31, 2014
Messages
232
Purraise
21
Location
Long Island, NY
well piglet had her echocardiogram this morning but we still haven't heard back from the doctor. i'm wondering if i should call him or just keep waiting.

piglet smells funny from all the goop on her chest and one of my other cats won't stop hissing at her. i tried to wipe her down with puppy/kitten cleansing wipes but she still smells funny. 
 

denice

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Joined
Feb 7, 2006
Messages
16,178
Purraise
9,495
Location
Columbus OH
If it were me I would call.  Things can get buried and the doctor doesn't realize that a call needs to be made.  I only have had experience with the FORL.  I do agree that if anesthetic can be safely given all the teeth should be removed.  It would be better than just having the affected teeth removed and then facing this again on down the road.  Toothless kitties adjust very well once gums heal up from the extractions.
 

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Joined
Aug 13, 2009
Messages
14,207
Purraise
4,136
Location
Arizona
I don't think I'd stop with just the back teeth, I think I'd get them  ALL removed, because what's to prevent those little front teeth from going bad later on?

As far as having heart issues along with kidney issues, it's a fine line to walk when giving fluids, that's for sure.  It can be done though.  Too many fluids can overtax the heart, so depending on what the Cardiologist says, if and when YOU give sub-q's at home, YOU will need to be aware of the amounts to give and never give too much at once.  As far as her surgery, I'm thinking as long as proper precautions are made, and everyone on board knows her health issues going in, she should be ok.  I guess her new cardiologist will either give the ok or not.  He might even want to be there during her dental.
 
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
  • #6

stephanie42

TCS Member
Thread starter
Adult Cat
Joined
Mar 31, 2014
Messages
232
Purraise
21
Location
Long Island, NY
piglet has early/mild heart disease; the veterinarian says that she has no limitations or anything. her kidneys will have to be carefully managed during any potential surgery. the vet still wants to take her teeth from the canines back out.

my husband and i are now considering our options. i hate that finances have to come into it, but they do - i've already maxed out a care credit card for piglet's first $2300 surgery. even if we do decide to go ahead and have all of piglet's remaining teeth extracted, we won't be able to do it for some time. i'm happy that piglet's heart is good and her kidney values are better, but i don't know what to do. i'm thinking of asking the vet to prescribe us some painkillers so we can at least keep piglet comfortable until we make a decision to move forward.
 

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Joined
Aug 13, 2009
Messages
14,207
Purraise
4,136
Location
Arizona
Just be sure to ask if the painkillers would have any ill effect on either her kidneys or heart
 
Top