Frankenprey

bridget graham

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

Just curious about this, how would you go about feeding your cat all of the necessary vitamins and supplements that they need if you feed them meat that isn't ground?

Thank you!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ideally, if you can find (and get your cat to eat) the proper things with enough variety, supplements won't be needed. But if you need to add some things in, you can feed some ground food and some chunks.

Oh---and some cats will eat their supplements sprinkled on top of their meat.

Last edited:

vball91

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The theory behind frankenprey is that if you provide raw meat/bone/secreting organs in the proper proportion (average prey), you are providing all the nutrition that cats need and don't need additional supplementation. There are many frankenprey (or Prey Model Raw) feeders who do this. There are other PMR feeders who do supplement with extra taurine, salmon/krill oil, raw eggs, sardines, etc. There are also raw feeders who have adapted a boneless frankenprey for those cats who have an intolerance for bone. There are many ways of feeding raw. If you want to learn more, I would encourage you to go to the resource thread at the top of the Faw Feeding Forum. There's a lot of good info there.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The theory behind frankenprey is that if you provide raw meat/bone/secreting organs in the proper proportion (average prey), you are providing all the nutrition that cats need and don't need additional supplementation. There are many frankenprey (or Prey Model Raw) feeders who do this. There are other PMR feeders who do supplement with extra taurine, salmon/krill oil, raw eggs, sardines, etc. There are also raw feeders who have adapted a boneless frankenprey for those cats who have an intolerance for bone. There are many ways of feeding raw. If you want to learn more, I would encourage you to go to the resource thread at the top of the Faw Feeding Forum. There's a lot of good info there.

Probably as many proteins that cats can/will eat, there are that many ways of feeding a species appropriate diet, i.e., homemade ground, PMR, commercial raw, whole live prey.  I didn't supplement for over a year, but have recently (Alnutrin) because I wasn't sure Ritz was getting all the micro-nutrients.  Do some reading, and figure out what works the best for you, your life style, your schedule, and Your Cat.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here is a very detailed Prey Model Raw feeding guide. It's written for dogs, but the principles are roughly the same. When it comes to feeding bones for cats, think "mouse." Cats should be fed a minimum of three times a day, and size of what you're feeding them is obviously quite different. For instance, for bone-in meals, I feed quail - but I cut it up; one meal is 1/4 of a quail. Or I use chicken wings - but not that thicker "drumette" part - and I still have to cut those two smaller wing pieces in half for some of my cats and into thirds for several.

http://puppybutt.weebly.com/uploads/7/6/9/2/7692088/beginners_guide_to_prey_model_raw_rv.4.1.pdf