frankenprey feeders...how much bone do you feed?

quickbeam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ive recently modified my frankenprey menu and have been thinking about the amount of bone-in meals I give my two cats. I was just wondering how many bone-in meals fellow frankenprey feeders feed a week and what meats do they use?

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I feed around 3 bone in meals a week, around .6 oz per meal for a total of around 1.8 to 2 ounces a week. The bone is from quail, chicken breast or Turkey breast, occasionally rabbit. Ritz loves all kinds of meat, including tripe. She is prone to constipation, especially if she has been eating relative lo ewe fat meat..She loves bone and I love to hear her crunching it. Her teeth love it too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

quickbeam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, thats about the amount Ive been feeding!

Has anyone fed partridge as a bone-in meal before? If so is the whole bird okay for cats as they are quite small?

Last edited:

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm in the USA, and I've never seen partridge for sale. (My nephew sometimes gives me goose he has shot, but that is a much bigger bird.) I think the closest animal I can get is quail (frozen). They are about 4 oz each, a fair amount of bone. I end up deboning the quail, and giving Ritz the meat and some of the bone. It takes about two quail to yield 3.2 oz of meat. There's a fair amount of waste, but I do get a lot of bone for later use. And Ritz loves quail (more so than chicken).
I know other posters feed 1/2 qual, bone in. Ritz is prone to constipation, so I only feed her around .6 oz of bone at a time (3 x a week).

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't see any reason not to feed whole partridge. You might want to debone one first, just so you know how much bone there is vs. meat. It'll help you know how many boneless meals to feed.

I feed 1/4 quail as a meal to the cats that eat bone-in meals, but only one of them eats all the bone.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

quickbeam

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies. I usually fed quail but couldnt get any last week. We fed the partridge but it wasnt a hit! We will be sticking to quail in the future.

stiletto

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been feeding mine quail about once a week.