Four Year Old Cat Diagnosed With Lymphoma

Luna6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A couple, my kitty's appetite slowed and after three days she refused to eat. We took her to the vet where they diagnosed her with ibd. They did an endoscopy and took biopsies and a couple weeks later called back to say it looks like lymphoma but the results were borderline and the only way to be sure is to do a surgical biopsy. They said another option is to just start chemo pills and it would maybe give her another year or two. I don't want to put her through surgery because she is terrified of the vet, but I also don't want to treat her for something she doesn't have. She's been on steroids for about a month now and is eating ok but her energy isn't what it was before this happened. I love her sooo much and can't believe that she could have cancer at only four years old :-( I am at a loss for what to do because I know how hard the surgery will be on her but I want to know for sure if it's cancer...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Luna6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Should say "a couple months ago"

JuliaS

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did they do FeLV test?
Don’t be afraid to do a biopsy, lymphoma is treatable, chimo is not so “bad” for cats.

JuliaS

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They did, it was negative.
This is good.
She is pretty young so if it’s a lymphoma chimo shall help. But it is also important to know fo sure the diagnosis before they start any treatment. I would have done biopsy.

Noirele

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She is really young, lymphoma is rarely seen in cats younger than 9 years old (except in FELV + cats, which she isn't). If I were you, I would ask for a re-check of the biopsies done. Another pathologist could take a look to the tissue slides and could give his opinion. If that is not possible, I would agree to the surgical biopsy.
Starting the chemo without a cancer diagnosis it's not even worth considering... of course that's just my point of view.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Is there any calming product that might help ease her stress, and indirectly yours, for going in to the vet?
There are sprays and collars as well as treats, vet prescribed ones, and even CBD oil.

A note about CBD, it also has anti inflammatory properties.

I'm a little (ok, a lot) wary of the comment that chemo would maybe give a couple years, when they don't know a definite diagnosis yet, and putting a time designation on things in any case is questionable because every cat is different.

I'm almost thinking of suggesting obtaining a second opinion, but try to see if you can get her more calm about going, you could even try music, at home, in the car... It really works :)

Last edited:

FelisCatus

RIP </3
Super Cat
Purraise
Just wanted to add my current cancer fghting cat was on chemo (Palladia) and she had 0 side effects.

The oncologist said cats take chemo way better than humans and the worse we would have seen had we continued (wasn’t helping) would have been her fur turning grey from the current black.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Luna6

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She is really young, lymphoma is rarely seen in cats younger than 9 years old (except in FELV + cats, which she isn't). If I were you, I would ask for a re-check of the biopsies done. Another pathologist could take a look to the tissue slides and could give his opinion. If that is not possible, I would agree to the surgical biopsy.
Starting the chemo without a cancer diagnosis it's not even worth considering... of course that's just my point of view.
They are in the process of getting a second opinion on the biopsy samples. At this point I am leaning more toward a surgical biopsy because I want to know for sure what I'm dealing with rather than hoping I guess the right treatment. I've tried calming stuff from feliway to gabapentin to some naturopathic dermal stuff and it's barely calmed her down. She already doesn't care for being handled much and she's been poked and prodded so much the last couple months and I know surgery will be hard on her :-(

She has also had runny stools for a month now and I asked the vet if it could be a food allergy. I had switched her to canned chicken from cooked (alternating rabbit, turkey, chicken) when all of this started because I thought the food was the cause. Right after the switch is when the loose stool started along with a super itchy/gunky ear and itching around her face and neck. The vet told me it was due to the inflammation of her intestines and needs to continue the steroid and doubted it had anything to do with the food. I met with a holistic vet last week and she was suspicious of a food allergy also and recommended the transition to a different protein. A couple days ago I started transitioning to turkey and already noticed a difference in her stool. In two days, it went from pudding consistency with some form to last night where it was mostly formed but still pretty soft. It's the best I have seen it in a month so unless it's a fluke she does seem to have a chicken sensitivity.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wow, good for you!
Try music, and maybe see what your team thinks about CBD, for calming and,/or otherwise :)