Four-month-old Kittens Eating Too Much?

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi, everyone,

At my kittens' last appointment, the vet suggested that my female kitten's belly was a bit too round and that (since worms are likely not the culprit after multiple dewormings, nothing in the stool, and a healthy appetite) she may be eating a little too much. She discouraged free feeding and told me to restrict the amount of food I give them in general.

For reference, per the vet's advice, I now feed each of them a can of wet food per day (split over two feedings), plus about a third of a cup of dry food, give or take a little. Both are Royal Canin brand (for kittens), although I'm diversifying their wet food now so that they don't get finicky!

I used to leave more dry food out for them when I went to work, but I've stopped doing this.

Athena, the female kitten, is a little less round now, but Ares, the male, seems a little on the thin side to me, although he's always been a lot leaner and longer than she is.

But also -- both kittens now seem super hungry every time I feed them and are always looking for more. They didn't do this before; they'd stop themselves when they were done and "cover" the food for later. I've also noticed that their fur has gotten a little rougher.

Based on your experience, do you think that the vet's advice was faulty? Should I let them feed freely when I'm not at home or at night?

Thanks so much!

Attachments

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I wouldn't restrict a kittens food until they are done growing. That can be anywhere between 6 months and 18 months for most cats. Growing being defined as no longer getting taller or longer. I have a hard time believing that a four month old is getting a fat belly and neither of your cats look like they are overweight in the photos provided.

It could simply be that she is retaining a little wieght for a growth spurt. Or she's developing a primordial pouch which has absolutely nothing to do with body condition and health. I am loath to disagree with a vet but I would have a hard time following that advice.

I would agree that limiting dry food and going to more wet is ideal. However, with kittens under six months I usually leave out dry all the time so they don't get hungry. If you are home during the day you could try increasing wet feedings. You can also try a different dry food as a carb heavy food can cause weight retention around the midsection in cats.

Here is my favorite body condition chart, notice how it focuses more on ribs and body shape then tummy. Not that the tummy is unimportant but you should differentiate between primordial pouch and fat tummy.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with everything Kieka Kieka said. You can't overfeed a kitten. The kitten is still growing and needs all the food she can get. If it were me, I would increase the wet food and free feed the dry until they are a minimum of 8-10 months and then see if the food needs adjusting.
Your kitten may seem chunky right now, but then she'll hit a growth spurt and boom - she will be almost skinny.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you, everyone! We started feeding them as much as they want again (and yes, mostly wet food, free feeding dry food) and their fur is soft again. I'm going to try requesting a different vet at the facility when I go on Friday. I've had two different ones at this office so far.

However: Ares seems to reject chunky wet food (Royal Canin) and drools quite a bit and drops pieces of food while he eats the dry. He sometimes turns his head from side to side and drops bits of the fine wet food too. Any ideas? Teething, maybe? He purrs like crazy when he eats and is very high-energy.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cats can be picky with textures and flavors of food. One of mine will only eat pate if it is watered down and mixed well. None of mine seem to like beef. So it could just be a texture thing.

The dry food, I have one who grabs a mouth full and shakes his head. Luckily, my other one likes eating scattered pieces from around the bowl. So I rarely have to clean up because they balance each other out.

Do have the vet check teeth just to be on the safe side.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Glad you decided to free feed the kittens again. They are babies. Even if they are plump, it’s not a good idea to restrict their calories because all the systems in their bodies are growing and you never know which one is needing the extra nutrients right now. It’s normal for kittens to have tummies, they have to put all that food somewhere.

And, by the way, they are totally adorable!

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Glad you decided to free feed the kittens again. They are babies. Even if they are plump, it’s not a good idea to restrict their calories because all the systems in their bodies are growing and you never know which one is needing the extra nutrients right now. It’s normal for kittens to have tummies, they have to put all that food somewhere.

And, by the way, they are totally adorable!
I know, it seemed off to me, but I did want to trust the vet. I've never had kittens before, so I assumed that she would likely know better than I would. I should just trust my gut.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Their third set of booster shots are this coming Friday, and they've been dewormed three times (and no visual evidence of worms at any point). I was actually on the phone with the clinic this afternoon -- hopefully spaying and neutering will happen next Friday. I want it done as soon as possible, especially since we've got one of each. They are also fully indoor cats.

war&wisdom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Their third set of booster shots are this coming Friday, and they've been dewormed three times (and no visual evidence of worms at any point). I was actually on the phone with the clinic this afternoon -- hopefully spaying and neutering will happen next Friday. I want it done as soon as possible, especially since we've got one of each. They are also fully indoor cats.
Oops, should have said "third set of shots is"! The grammar nerd in me needed to correct it, but I can't edit posts yet.

GGG

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi, everyone,

At my kittens' last appointment, the vet suggested that my female kitten's belly was a bit too round and that (since worms are likely not the culprit after multiple dewormings, nothing in the stool, and a healthy appetite) she may be eating a little too much. She discouraged free feeding and told me to restrict the amount of food I give them in general.

For reference, per the vet's advice, I now feed each of them a can of wet food per day (split over two feedings), plus about a third of a cup of dry food, give or take a little. Both are Royal Canin brand (for kittens), although I'm diversifying their wet food now so that they don't get finicky!

I used to leave more dry food out for them when I went to work, but I've stopped doing this.

Athena, the female kitten, is a little less round now, but Ares, the male, seems a little on the thin side to me, although he's always been a lot leaner and longer than she is.

But also -- both kittens now seem super hungry every time I feed them and are always looking for more. They didn't do this before; they'd stop themselves when they were done and "cover" the food for later. I've also noticed that their fur has gotten a little rougher.

Based on your experience, do you think that the vet's advice was faulty? Should I let them feed freely when I'm not at home or at night?

Thanks so much!
I have my kitty since she was 7 weeks old, she's 6 months old now. The vet always told me to feed her as much as she would eat, to free feed her too. There is no too much feeding for kittens.
Skye gets 2 or 3 servings of wet food a day ( I try to feed her as much wet food as I can) and free feeds dry food.
I think you're doing the right thing!
:purr:your fur babies are adorable

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Will they eat pate? Demi could only eat pate for the first few months. Now he won't eat it anymore for some reason.