Fountain opinions/preferences....petsafe vs. Pioneer pets

maddies momma

TCS member, Crazy Cat Lady!
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What is everyone's preferences for water fountains? Also is there a huge difference over stainless steel vs. Ceramic? The two brands I'm considering are petsafe and pioneer pet. If anyone has experiences with these or any reasons why one is better over the other I'd appreciate the input. The fountain I'm leaning towards is the stainless steel big max by pioneer pet. I was originally thinking the raindrop but I think my cat will appreciate the larger lower level that the big max has. Does anyone have experience with this fountain? Or any reason I should reconsider?
Also open to similar reccomendations.
Thanks in advance!

mollyblue

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Sorry, I do not remember brand names of the fountains we have one. One is a small-ish plastic base fountain but it has a slot at the back of the basin where you can place cat greens seeds, and they grow without dirt, just using the fresh water from the drinking part.  The fountain part has interchangeable pieces with one providing a water spout, and the other a waterfall.  We just got this one, not sure how well the greens will grow.  Our other fountain is porcelain.  We need that because one of our cats suffers from severe acne, and well, all sorts of skin issues, so we do what we can to  keep her healthy.  They are also, in my opinion, easier to wash and care for than the plastic.  Haven't had a stainless steel.  We have some stainless steel feeding bowls and I don't use them so I guess that's why we don't have a stainless steel fountain.

We do like having the fountains and I do believe out cats drink more because of them.  That there would be the extent of my knowledge on the subject

tiptopper

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This may help you

[product="16660"]Drinkwell Platinum Pet Fountain​[/product]  

kirochka

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have the Drinkwell Pagoda, and so far so good. The kittens do drink out of it, as well as out of a couple of bowls I keep out for them. I've only cleaned out the fountain once since I got it in early January, despite the instructions that come with it saying you need to do it more often, but it wasn't all that dirty when I did, and although I changed out the filters, I probably didn't need to. I use filtered water in it from the spigot in the refrigerator door. It's slightly loud, but I'm not sure you can get a fountain that isn't. All in all, happy with it so far.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know someone asked about the Big Max a few months ago.  I haven't found that post yet; but we do have a few reviews on it here on the site:
[product="19143"]Pioneer Fountain Big Max Stainless Steel  [/product]
We have a plastic PetMate one; so I can't comment from personal experience on the stainless steel vs ceramic.  I do think a fountain of some sort is a great investment into your cat/cats.  This is our 2nd in +10 years I believe.  They have been worth every penny.  

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I know someone asked about the Big Max a few months ago.  I haven't found that post yet; but we do have a few reviews on it here on the site:
We have a plastic PetMate one; so I can't comment from personal experience on the stainless steel vs ceramic.  I do think a fountain of some sort is a great investment into your cat/cats.  This is our 2nd in +10 years I believe.  They have been worth every penny.  
I have 2 Pioneer Pet fountains. The stainless Big Max and the black ceramic Raindrop. They are great. The kids love them, the are quiet and easy to clean. Amazon also sells the filters. I buy an off brand and they are just as good as the PP filters for a much better price. I recommend both highly but if I had to choose which one I prefer, it would be the Big Max especially if you have multiple pets. They do make the Raindrop fountain in stainless. I got the ceramic because I got a great deal on it from Kohl's. If you have a dish tipper, this is the one for you as it's quite heavy.

sargon

High Priest of Freya, The Slightly Bitey.
Super Cat
Purraise
The Stainless steel Pioneer pet fountains are great. My cat loves her fountains so much she milk treads before drinking from them.
  I have heard good thing about their ceramic models, as well, but haven't used them personally.

one tip i have is to use filtered water in the fountain ( yes it has a little filter, but it only can do so much.)

Last edited:

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I have 2 Pioneer Pet fountains. The stainless Big Max and the black ceramic Raindrop. They are great. The kids love them, the are quiet and easy to clean. Amazon also sells the filters. I buy an off brand and they are just as good as the PP filters for a much better price. I recommend both highly but if I had to choose which one I prefer, it would be the Big Max especially if you have multiple pets. They do make the Raindrop fountain in stainless. I got the ceramic because I got a great deal on it from Kohl's. If you have a dish tipper, this is the one for you as it's quite heavy.
I have this one too and just love it.  I have had it for almost a year now and it works so well.  I previously had a plastic PetSafe which was a piece of junk.  The Pioneer is so quiet.  I too buy the generic filters on Amazon.  I have 3 indoor cats and a large dog so this fountain works perfectly.  

xcourtney3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have the stainless steel raindrop design and it's fine for 2 cats and they like it. It's easy to keep clean and doesn't get gross

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maddies momma

Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for all your replies! I have read and appreciated every answer. I decided to take the plunge and I ordered the pioneer pet big max. It was a bit of an impulse buy but I didn't see any screaming negative reviews against it. So it should arrive soon and I will let you know how it goes! Hopefully my boy uses it!

I would love to try out the pagoda fountain too! I wish I could just buy all the top contenders, choose my favourite and send the rest back. Oh well I really think the stainless steel will be a good hygienic choice. Maybe one day I'll have the money to try a thousand fountains, but in the meantime that money is better spent on my cats vet needs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

maddies momma

Alpha Cat
Purraise
He liked it :) so far it's been great! It took him a while to adjust to it but he uses it consistently now.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for letting me know! I'm just trying to research fountains, and this one keeps popping up as a favorite.

Torrid17852

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got my kitties a fountain and they wouldn't use it at first, Munchkin played with it more than anything, and they both took to drinking out of the toilet. I put the toilet seat down, and POOF they drink out of the fountain.