Found this fella's photo online, wanted to know if he was a breed or ?

redvelvetone

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I saw this handsome fella's photo online (with no info) and wanted to know if he was a specific breed. He kind of looks like some sort of  melanistic wild cat or maybe a hybrid or maybe just a really strongly featured Maine Coon? (though his ears seem way too long for  a domestic?). I was just curious what people here thought he might be.... whatever he is he is very striking looking.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

redvelvetone

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
yeah I don't know. I was trying to find info on him (his photo was posted on a cat site on facebook) but there is no info. He's beautiful though!

redvelvetone

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
though if you look closely at the photo, there appear to be domestic kittens in the background so he must be a domestic breed (or hybrid), and not some black wild cat.

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
  It sure looks to me like a Maine Coon,  reminds me of some of the black MCs from MTNest. 

In fact reminds me of a particular boy    http://mtnestcats.com/floyd.html

The cat photographer Helmi Flick has photos of black Maine Coons on a blog post about black cats.  http://helmiflick.blogspot.com/2009/09/good-luck-with-black-cats.html       Note that the MCs on this page with the ears that look the biggest are actually kittens!  Huge kittens but kittens.     It might be the cat in the photo is also young and will grow into the ears somewhat. 

( That post also has photos of a stunning Bombay  and some beautiful black Savannahs. )

redvelvetone

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks Maewkaew. I was thinking maybe MC though his features are really pronounced, more so than on the MCs I've seen so maybe he's an unaltered male cat stud so he has more of a tom cat face? (the ones I've seen were fixed).

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If he is a MC , looks more like a young tom .  He has a very prominent squarish muzzle.   I have seen young Maine Coon boys with a similar face structure He doesn't have features that would make me think he is a mature stud.     An older MC stud usually gets jowls, a broader head and that also means the ears get wider set.     In this cat the head itself is not really broad.  but the fur on the neck is seen behind the muzzle,  and  although he does not have a big ruff yet,  he does have enough fur that it could make it appear the head itself is broader than it really is. especially with him being all black.  

Of course we don't know his ancestry,  but he sure looks like a Maine Coon and probably from TICA lines.   TICA likes a more "wild" look in the Maine Coons compared to CFA.    The MCs whose photos I linked were all TICA show cats. 

Last edited:

redvelvetone

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the info.I have always had moggies but if I ever decide to do a purebred I would love to get a 'wild' looking Mane Coon. I think they are just so cool looking (and the way they are described as a breed sounds nice as well).