Found the BEST Litter Mat!

tutti_bella

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've been battling with litter tracks for a very long time and have tried most everything available in the market. The last one I got was so unpopular that my cat tried her best to avoid stepping on it, to the point that she had to jump over the mat to get into her litter box.

So, I was shopping in Target yesterday and came across this rug which has a jute/sisal rope design in the middle. It looks like a scratching mat but way bigger. Then it strike me! Cats love to scratch on sisal/jute ropes so maybe she will like this!

I bought it and immediately set it down in front of her litter box. Lo and behold, just as I thought, she stepped on it, went to do her business, came out and wipe her paws on the rug! OMG! I've never seen anything like this! Not one bit of litter track anywhere ... and all I had to do was just to use a small hand vac to clean up the rug!

This is one amazing rug/litter mat! The best part is of course when my cat took the time to actually wipe her paws after using the litter box to clean away all the litter!

Just had to share this for those who wants to try to reduce litter tracking around the house.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I put cardboard scratchers and/or have a sisal mats in front of all my litter boxes - I suggested it to others on here before, as well.

I have one large rubber mat (with a scratcher in front of the litter box) under the living room box. It's a heavy black rubber one with grooves in it that I found at a feed supply store. It's probably suppose to go in a stable or in front of a door to collect mud/manure. It collects almost all of the litter coming out of that box. I have to vacuum out the grooves, though. The cats don't seem to mind the texture and if my feet are a bit damp they'll make squeaky (think shoes on gym floor) noises.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like a great idea! I was using one of those astro turf (fake grass) mats when Ootay (rb 5/09) had her litter box in my bathroom, but the other cats didn't like stepping on it, so I haven't been able to use it for their littler boxes. I'd be interested in trying a sisal type mat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tutti_bella

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
That fake grass one was the one that my cat had to jump over! She hated it so much, she tried to navigate around it all the time that I fear she might stop using the box all together!

The sisal mat works wonder in trapping litter and to encourage kitty to scratch before leaving the loo.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
was it in the rug section or the pet section? I don't ahve a k mart sadly, just an obnoxious walmart..

tutti_bella

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I bought it from Target actually. It was in the rug section. I have never come across any sisal litter mat in any pet store before, so I don't think they even have such a thing.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
I've got a big flat sisal mat in front of the balcony door for Jamie to "wipe" his feet on, and I agree, it's great. He really likes to sharpen his claws on it, too. I don't use it in front of the litter box because it's not really washable, though. The best thing I've found for catching loose litter is this mat.

tutti_bella

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi Jcat!

I've tried that mat as well. Thumbs down from my kitty. I don't think it hurts the paws but maybe just didn't feel right to her. She's one hard to please kitty.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
She probably didn't like the "spongy" feel to it. Jamie was very unsure of it at first, so I put his old plastic mat on top of it till he got used to it.

I've been getting the sisal "rugs" at a discount supermarkt chain (Lidl, similar to Aldi) which has them once or twice a year, for the information of those from Europe. They make terrific scratching pads.