Found Stray With Strange Ears

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wonder if it is more like a birth defect or something. I highly doubt you stumbled on an American Curl which isn't common, as a stray. Unless it escaped from someone in your apartment complex. Which is possible. I bet that is a trait that could accidently pop up throughout the general cat population but I don't know a lot about genetics. If so, that's all it is. Cute though!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ranne98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I wonder if it is more like a birth defect or something. I highly doubt you stumbled on an American Curl which isn't common, as a stray. Unless it escaped from someone in your apartment complex. Which is possible. I bet that is a trait that could accidently pop up throughout the general cat population but I don't know a lot about genetics. If so, that's all it is. Cute though!
I’ve posted in our apartments page to see if anyone is missing her! I must say, accidental birth defect is a bit less exciting then a rare-ish breed but you’re right, she is still cute... might keep her if everything goes that way!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most cats in the world are not even mixes of purebred cats, they are just simply domestic. So don't feel too bad, the likelihood of randomly finding any pure breed is like winning a lottery. It just isn't going to happen. Not even Maine Coons which everyone seems to assume any longhaired tabby is :lol::lol::lol:

You have yourself a super cute and unique cat though that's for sure!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel like those ears are too perfectly curled to be random. I'm sure he/she belongs to someone. Already checked for a chip though? Hmm. Be sure to call Animal Control, put up posters in the neighborhood, and post on the local online lost and found pets pages.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ranne98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I feel like those ears are too perfectly curled to be random. I'm sure he/she belongs to someone. Already checked for a chip though? Hmm. Be sure to call Animal Control, put up posters in the neighborhood, and post on the local online lost and found pets pages.
Yeah I posted on social media, called some local vets, and alerted my apartment complex. No chip or collar and covered in fleas and had worms. Took her to the mobile vaccine clinic to get a rabies and deworming before I let her around my kitty and they didn’t recognize her.

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From the picture, your cat appears to have the American Curl ear mutation. The American Curl ear mutation is a natural mutation that was discovered in 1981, and is autosomal dominant, meaning that just one parent needs to have the mutation for the kittens to have curled ears.

It's theoretically possible that your cat may have inherited the curled ear gene from the domestic cat population (since that is where the breed got the gene in the first place), however it's more likely that your cat has American Curl breed ancestry. Your cat might be an American Curl that was lost or escaped, or she may have an American Curl parent, grandparent, or an ancestor farther back.