Found small lump around my cat's shoulder.

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
found small lump a bit smaller than jellybean on her shoulder today. It seems to be under the skin and can be really felt if you pinch and pull the skin lightly on the area between shoulder blade. The texture is a bit soft, but still solid. She doesn't seem to react when the lump is touched, not even annoyed. No other symptoms as far as i know. She still plays, eat normal (this morning she didn't eat all of her meal, but at lunch she eat the normal amount of wet food again so is at dinner) stool and peeing is normal (hard to see pee color because of pine litter absorb it all instantly). She did puked hairball a week ago, that's it.

Should i take her to see vet immediately or can it wait until weekend? What could it be? Possibly any danger? If the indication is something that could be bad, i will take her tomorrow ASAP and take time off work, if not i will probably wait until Saturday.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would wait and see if it changes and/or she starts acting differently like it's becoming noticeable to her. Did she suffer any trauma in that area recently like it could be an abscess?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Does she have access outside or to other cats? If so, it could be an injury from another cat. If not, it still could be a scratch that has a minor infection.

Personally, I would make an appointment for 2 days out and keep an eye on it. If it heals up before the appointment, can cancel. If it is still there, have the vet check it out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Does she have access outside or to other cats? If so, it could be an injury from another cat. If not, it still could be a scratch that has a minor infection.

Personally, I would make an appointment for 2 days out and keep an eye on it. If it heals up before the appointment, can cancel. If it is still there, have the vet check it out.
No, she's fully indoor. I checked, it seems to be under the skin, not on the skin. The skin itself seems fine, no weirdness on it or the fur. As for injury, the closest i can think is last sunday i accidentally kicked her a bit when i went to the bathroom at night and didn't see her at door. That is also more on the foot than body.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd stick with the vet appointment a few days out and just keep an eye on it to see if it self resolves before then. I do believe any strange lumps should be checked out in a timely manner by a vet. But giving it a few days to see if it resolves on its own is good too.

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'd stick with the vet appointment a few days out and just keep an eye on it to see if it self resolves before then. I do believe any strange lumps should be checked out in a timely manner by a vet. But giving it a few days to see if it resolves on its own is good too.
i guess yeah. i will go on saturday if it still isn't gone

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She and Gracie are so much alike that I feel almost like her and Gracie are siblings. :lol: You know my pain of having a mischievous girl in the house.
True! The difference is Rivel is older so she knows the limit. Somewhat.

Anyway the bump seems to be smaller today. I will still see a vet later, but seems good.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I was thinking about it, and it could be a bug bite. Link once decided that it would be fun to play and lay in an ant trail. He ended up with a dozen small lumps that all swelled up, went down, scabbed over and left him with tiny bald spots until he fur grew back. He still rolls in ant trails to this day but we haven't had a repeat of multiple bites.

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I was thinking about it, and it could be a bug bite. Link once decided that it would be fun to play and lay in an ant trail. He ended up with a dozen small lumps that all swelled up, went down, scabbed over and left him with tiny bald spots until he fur grew back. He still rolls in ant trails to this day but we haven't had a repeat of multiple bites.
the thing is it's under the skin. the skin and fur itself is undisturbed. anyway i am going today instead of tomorrow. already made appointment and the vet said she will wait if i run a bit late. it hasn' t changed since yesterday.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
the thing is it's under the skin. the skin and fur itself is undisturbed. anyway i am going today instead of tomorrow. already made appointment and the vet said she will wait if i run a bit late. it hasn' t changed since yesterday.
Yeah, his looked under the skin for the first few days.

How did the appointment go?

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Kieka Kieka
klunick klunick

Done. It seems just swelling injection site from her rabies shot a month ago. The doctor said it's actually normal for a small bump to appear even weeks after injection. It's because it is shrinking, not increasing. When it's large, we couldn't feel it because it just blends with the skin. It should be completely gone in a few weeks according to her.

I just have to watch it since there is still chance that it isn't, but the doctor was sure 95% or so based on previous cases she had.

So yeah, i just updated her fleas and worm medication while we're there and she's eating chicken i cooked for her for being such good girl.

I also asked her about her itchy ears, she took a sample and couldn't detect mites or anything, so she's probably just naturally produce a lot of boogers, and keeping it cleaned once a week should do.

Last edited:

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kieka Kieka
klunick klunick

Done. It seems just swelling injection site from her rabies shot a month ago. The doctor said it's actually normal for a small bump to appear even weeks after injection. It's because it is shrinking, not increasing. When it's large, we couldn't feel it because it just blends with the skin. It should be completely gone in a few weeks according to her.

I just have to watch it since there is still chance that it isn't, but the doctor was sure 95% or so based on previous cases she had.

So yeah, i just updated her fleas and worm medication while we're there and she's eating chicken i cooked for her for being such good girl.

I also asked her about her itchy ears, she took a sample and couldn't detect mites or anything, so she's probably just naturally produce a lot of boogers, and keeping it cleaned once a week should do.
Never knew swelling could occur weeks after an injection. Very useful info!!

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Never knew swelling could occur weeks after an injection. Very useful info!!
The swelling Did occur after the injection, but they are usually soft and you wouldn't realize unless you know what your are looking for. As the size reduces, it becomes more apparent as the tissue are the site are different from the site. Well that's according to the vet, but it lines up because her behavior doesn't indicate any pain or irritation whenever you touch it. Her general behavior isn't really changed either.

It still could be something, but the vet said doing biopsy (taking sample from the lump) isn't worth it because she shows no other symptoms of illness, physically and behaviorally. If it isnt gone in 2 weeks or shows signs of getting larger i should come back and run a lab tests.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The swelling Did occur after the injection, but they are usually soft and you wouldn't realize unless you know what your are looking for. As the size reduces, it becomes more apparent as the tissue are the site are different from the site. Well that's according to the vet, but it lines up because her behavior doesn't indicate any pain or irritation whenever you touch it. Her general behavior isn't really changed either.

It still could be something, but the vet said doing biopsy (taking sample from the lump) isn't worth it because she shows no other symptoms of illness, physically and behaviorally. If it isnt gone in 2 weeks or shows signs of getting larger i should come back and run a lab tests.
Oh, I guess I missed where you wrote the lump appeared a month ago. Saw that you said she got her vaccine a month ago.