Found kitten on Road

Jolenethedancingqueen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone! About a week ago I was hurrying to get ready for work when I spotted a kitten in the road and it was raining really hard so of course I grabbed it and took it home, he doesn’t appear to be more than 3 weeks old. I decided to name him Nimbus after Cumulonimbus clouds. His eyes are now fully opened and I’ve been giving him kitten formula every 30 minutes when he cries for it and every two hours over night. After having him for 2 days I noticed he wasn’t pooping and I started to get worried, the first time he pooped he got it stuck half in and half out of his butt, which i had to help him with crying the whole time. The second time he strained really hard but was able to go and now he’s straining very hard and can’t go I tried helping him by getting a warm wet piece of toilet paper and he screamed like it hurt so I stopped and I took a look and he had something stick out of his butthole that wasn’t poop? Any advice is welcome and I was wondering if I should still feed him until I am able to get him to an emergency vet or not.

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jolenethedancingqueen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He’s currently taking a little nap until I put him in the litter box to see if he’ll go

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He might still need stimulation to make him go. Their mother licks their butt when they're little to stimulate them to poop. You'll need to do this with a warm damp cloth.

The Kitten Lady on YouTube is an excellent resource. She has lots of information on kitten rearing.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What kmr do you use? Some kmr are known to sometimes cause constipation. If so, you would need to change to another brand. Or to goats milk.

Can you get raw goats milk?

Be sure you dilute it properly, so he gets enough with fluids.

You can add a couple of drops of olive oil with each feeding. Almost any brand should do to soften off the poo, but coldpressed olive oil is healthy by itself.

You can also try with taking such a glycerine cone [suppositorium] for humans with constipation. Take a thin sliver of it, and put into the behind. It softens up the poo...

Because, whatever odd comes from his behind, he has apparently constipation. The ideal consistency of kitten poo is tooth paste. It shall not be hard on kittens.

Jolenethedancingqueen Jolenethedancingqueen

Last edited:

Jolenethedancingqueen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’ve been stimulating him to poop however he screams bloody murder when I’ve done it so I’ve not been doing it, I’ll try the little drops of olive oil technique and let you know how it goes.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay. It looked like he was trying to go on his own anyway. He might be old enough to go on his own. Try the oil in his formula.

Glycerine suppositories will work, but they're unpredictable, with messy outcomes at times. Give him a chance with the oil first.

Jolenethedancingqueen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I started watering down his formula a lot yesterday and his finally pooped this morning!!!! However the hemorrhoid is still there. He’s now having diarrhea

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Please get him seen by a vet. He may need meds.

Also, he may have been dehydrated, but do not continue to water down the formula as he needs the full nutrition.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor little guy. He just can't find a happy medium.

Please do have him seen by the vet. They'll be able to treat the hemorrhoid or whatever it is.

Jolenethedancingqueen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have an appointment for Monday for him and I’ll continue to update. He’s been drinking way much more formula I believe, he’s always hungry but I believe that’s due to the diarrhea and worms.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I started watering down his formula a lot yesterday and his finally pooped this morning!!!! However the hemorrhoid is still there. He’s now having diarrhea
Better diarrhea than constipation... Still, diarrhea too irritates a hemorrhoid in some degree, so.

Do you still use the olive oil? If so, reduce this now.

If he has much diarrhea and you water down his kmr, he will need more salts. Best is to simply water down with pedialyte.
But the easiest way, at least to begin with, is to salt a little with common kitchen salt. In the long run you will need a salt source with bigger diversity of several differnt salts, perhaps a minerale kitchen salt; but you can begin with common table salt.

Good you will have a vet check him up upon this hemorrhoid?

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have an appointment for Monday for him and I’ll continue to update. He’s been drinking way much more formula I believe, he’s always hungry but I believe that’s due to the diarrhea and worms.
Kittens are always hungry. They've got a lot of growing to do in a short time. If Nimbus has parasites, they'll take some of the food value of what he eats as well. Just feed him until he's satisfied.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to update everyone and let everyone know that Nimbus is doing amazing and he’s a wild little man.
I am glad to hear he is ok and he recovered from all of that. He is adorable, what a cute little floofy boy, I love lh kitties 😻