Found Kitten At Dump

annaw

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'e posted here recently, because my cat just had babies almost three weeks ago.
My dad works at the dump, and they found a kitten. They brought it home, as they couldn't find the mom anywhere or even any other babies, so I'm thinking it got dumped. Not even a month old.
Now what can I feed it? Should I try to introduce it to my mama cat? What can it eat right away? What should I wash it with because it's stinky. Any help is appreciated.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
A bath with blue Dawn dish soap (rinse well) is probably the best option. It wouldn't hurt to see if your mom cat will accept the new kitten. Rub the kitten with a towel or blanket your cat has laid on to help with scent identification. Since it sounds like it may be older then your kitten just keep an eye on weight and step in if someone needs more (or less) time at the milk bar.

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have washed young kittens with fleas using Johnson's Baby Shampoo, unsented. The soap kills the fleas because it reduces the surface tension, which permits the water to enter the fleas's spiracles which it uses to breath. Hence the fleas drown. Be sure to rinse the kitten well to clear soap and dead fleas. Use water that is very warm, to your touch, but not hot. Dry kitten very well. Wrap kitten in a second towel, making the famous purrito.

If the kitten has fleas, I believe it will have tape worms. You will need. to deworm the kitten.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure if the kitten may carry diseases which might effect your other kittens (or the mother). I'd call a veterinarian and ask. Maybe they could test the kitten (and give it a wormer).

If there is no risk, your mama cat might nurse it with her own kittens. That would be the best food if she'll accept the kitten.

I'd plan on feeding KMR, or a homemade kitten formula until you consult a vet about the risk of disease.

Homemade formulas:
Formula #1
1 quart whole goat's milk
1 teaspoon light Karo syrup
1 tablespoon nonfat plain yogurt (goat's milk preferred)
1 egg yolk
Knox unflavored gelatin:
Newborn-1 week 1 pkg
2nd week 1 1/2 - 2 pkgs
3rd week 2 1/2 - 3 pkgs
4th week 4 pkgs
Put goat's milk in saucepan, add gelatin in the amount above depending on the kitten's age. Heat goat's milk/gelatin mixture just until gelatin is dissolved. Remove from heat. Mix in remaining ingredients and refrigerate. It will keep up to one week. Heat to skin test temperature and feed kittens.

Formula #2
8 ounces homogenized whole milk
2 egg yolks
1 teaspoon salad oil
1 drop liquid pediatric vitamins (optional)

Mix well and warm before using. Keep refrigerated.

Formula #3
1 part boiled water to 5 parts evaporated milk
1/2 teaspoon bone meal per 16 oz fluid

Mix well, refrigerate, warm before using .

Formula #4
1 can Evaporated Milk
1 egg yolk
2 tablespoons Karo syrup

All three mixed well and kept in tightly sealed jar in fridge.
At feeding time mix 1/2 of the estimated feeding amount with:
Equal amount of boiling water
(once a day mix 1 drop of human infant liquid vitamins in each kitties formula)

If constipation occurrs: add 1 drop of vegetable oil to each kitties formula no more than once daily till problem is eased. Test temperature before feeding (the combination of boiling water and chilled formula should be just about right).
(source: Emergency Kitty Formulat Recipes)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If you have goats milk you can use it as it is. Its only if its some low fat version you should make it fatter.

Whom is your momma cat? If family girl I will advice caution. If saved ex homeless with good immune system you may take the risk. Momma will prob accept the fosterling without big fuss.