Found Another One. (sigh)

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
As Mr Husband were doing our evening run to the supermarket last night we noticed this grey cat crouched at the side of the road. There are a few feral cats in the forest but they stay away from the road. This guy let me pick him up, carry him back to the car and put him in the cat carrier. (We always keep a carrier in the car, just in case.)

He's so thin and his fur is all tangled and matted. He came home with us and ate and let me comb some of the mats out of his fur. I had to cut a few clumps out but he didn't protest at all.

I guess he could be lost, but the stretch of road we found him on runs through the forest and there are no buildings at all nearby. I think he was probably dumped.

He's thrown up once this morning and he has a bit of diarrhea, I guess from not having eaten for so long He's very affectionate and just wants to be held.

Taking him to the vets tomorrow to get him checked over and scanned for a chip. He's been neutered and looks about 1 year old.

Does he look like any particular breed to you?

He's got long legs and a long tail and great big paws. Going to be quite a big cat when he puts some weight on. He's also got really long whiskers and long tufts of fur growing out of his ears.

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, he's beautiful!  I don't really know breeds, but someone here will help you.

If he's been dumped - there are no words to express how angry this makes me feel.

You are his HERO - and I wish I could give you a hug.

I hope his tests show he is basically healthy and that there's nothing wrong that a little loving won't take care of. :)  

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's beautiful. Marbled? That's what his fur looks like to me. What a tail.
There are no words to express my admiration for you. I don't know anybody else who would rescue all these poor homeless and/or feral when possible.
My dad would've said 'more power to your elbow'! Which sort of means he.raises his hat to you except I'm saying it.

banjosmum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone & Norachan,

I have a part Maine Coon, so have looked at lots of stuff on the net about them - & I might be biased! but I think your 'find' looks like either a Maine Coon or a Norwegian Forest Cat.  It doesn't have the cruel pushed in face of the new Persians & the longer hair seems to be along the belly.  With big paws & long ear fur he looks very like an MC or NFC.  Tho he doesn't seem to have guard hairs along the back which are a lot longer & heavier than the belly hair.

He looks a very sweet puss & is lucky to have found you.  So hope he finds a lovely forever home... 

I adopted my Banjo at 1 year.  It took him about 2 years to trust me fully.  Only persistent gentleness won out.  He was very aloof, but he's a very sweet cat now.

Good luck with him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you for your replies.

@GloriaJH  yeah, it's terrible the way people think they can just throw their pets out like garbage, isn't it? I guess they thought he'd be able to fend for himself in a forest, most people don't understand that this is learned behaviour. It's like sending your child into the woods with a bow and arrow and a box of matches and expecting him to fend for himself. Makes me furious.

@BanjosMum  that would be great if he were a Maine Coon or Norwegian Forest Cat, they're both beautiful breeds. If so he must be younger than I first thought, maybe 6 to 8 months? I'll ask the vet what he thinks.

Good news is he hasn't thrown up since this morning. He was a bit messy after having diarrhea but let me give him a sponge bath and comb the rest of the knots out of his fur.

He's just eaten a plate of cooked chicken and now he's sitting on my lap. He's such a sweet, affectionate boy. Can't understand why anyone would just dump him.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How wonderful that he found you.  You are his angel.  I hope he checks out well with the vet.  Keep us updated.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hello,

Here's an update on the kitty I found.

He tested negative for FIV and FiL. He's neutered but not chipped. He's been treated for worms, fleas and ear mites and I've got two lots of medicine, one to stop his diarrhea and another to settle his stomach.

He weighs 2.8 kilos but he's eating well and the vet expects him to make a full recovery.

@GemsGem  I know you have a lot of experience of Maine Coon cats, how much would you expect a healthy male to weigh? The vet thinks he's under one year old, around 8 to 10 months maybe. We're not sure that he is a Maine Coon of course, but he's got the face and the paws and the gorgeous long tail. The vet described him as "Maine Coon Type".

Oh, and he's got a new name. We've decided to call him Forest.

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
He weighs 2.8 kilos but he's eating well and the vet expects him to make a full recovery.

@GemsGem
 I know you have a lot of experience of Maine Coon cats, how much would you expect a healthy male to weigh? The vet thinks he's under one year old, around 8 to 10 months maybe. We're not sure that he is a Maine Coon of course, but he's got the face and the paws and the gorgeous long tail. The vet described him as "Maine Coon Type".

Oh, and he's got a new name. We've decided to call him Forest.
Oh wow what a beautiful boy :heart3:

He does have a maine coon look about him ;) He is a extremely beautiful silver classic tabby .

The Maine Coon takes 3-4 years to finish growing, and people expect to see a giant cat when they are say 18 months old, but really they are still only a baby then. Fully grown adult males generally weigh on average around 6-9 kg. A few do get bigger but they are the exception to the norm :D

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you @GemsGem  This boy has a way to go yet, he's long and tall but so skinny, I really need to get some weight on him.

He's starting to get a bit more inquisitive. He came out of his cage to explore the room and had a look out the window too. He hasn't eaten very much today, just licked at a bit of cooked chicken and had a handful of dry food. I guess it will take a while before he's able to eat normally.again.

Here's a few pictures I took today.

I've always admired Maine Coon cats. I'm really happy to have a "look-a-like" join our gang.

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He is a pretty boy. I guess you would call that "marbled smoke", maybe?

Someone else may know. Thanks for rescuing this fella. They always make the best cats.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love the name. He's a lucky little boy to have found such wonderful parents.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From what I remember of the "purebred" cat crazes in Japan. . .he looks like he was probably sold as a Persian. Not especially show-quality but that's my guess anyway.

He's lucky to have found you, poor little guy. Hopefully he'll settle in and fatten up quickly!

twinkles21

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Wow, what a beautiful boy. His fur looks sooo thick lol. 

The fact that he is so happy and affectionate makes it all the more heart-breaking that someone would dump him. 

Thank you for taking him in. You are a good person! 

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you for all of your kind comments.

@GemsGem  that cat in the  photo looks just like him, I think you've solved the "Who Am I?" puzzle. 

I'm a bit worried about him because he's hardly eaten for the past two days. He had his last dose of medicine yesterday and ate 10 gm of dry food in the morning, 15 gm of wet food in the afternoon but nothing since then. He drank a lot of water this morning but then threw the water up. I've started syringe feeding him, just 5 ml at a time as I don't want to over-do things. He's kept it down so far. 

I think I'll take him back to the vets first thing on Monday

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Thanks @Ondine  I managed to get 30 gm, 50 calories of soft wet food into him yesterday, He ate a few mouthfuls of dry food himself last night and he's just had another 15 ml of soft food from the syringe. He peed twice but no poop today. His diarrhea has only just stopped so that's not a worry.

I'm cooking some chicken for him now. All the other cats are hanging out in the kitchen going "Me too, I'm sick too, Look how skinny I am. We need that chicken!"

If anyone has any advice on how to get a very skinny cat eating again please chime in.

@StephenQ  

@catwoman707