Found Another Kitten - Unsure of Age & Need Advice

casportpony

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, I found a little orange kitten in the bushes last night. It seems healthy enough, but it's not interested in eating or drinking, and it has not pooped or peed. Its current weight is 827 grams (1.8 pounds), it has canines, and the pre-molars look like they are coming in.

How old do you all think it is? And should I worry about it not eating/drinking/pooping/peeing?
DSCN0286 (Large).JPG
DSCN0287 (Large).JPG

Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
His weight indicates he’s about 6 weeks. He’s probably scared, so try holding him and putting some soft pate food on your finger to see if he’ll lick it. At his tender age, he might enjoy drinking dishes of kitten formula, as he may not have ever had anything but mom’s milk until now.

It may take a few days before he’s eating on his own, so be prepared to offer a syringe of kitten formula to get him going.

He’s a beauty! Thanks for rescuing him and keep us posted!

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agree. Want just to mention, goats milk may be an alternative to kmr, now, and also later on as a supplement if you ever need one....

Goats milk isnt better than a good kmr, but its cheaper.... :) Also, if you have any left overs, you can always drink it up yourself, perhaps in coffee.

So, for time being, try to make it as stress free for the kitten... So he lands. Try to sit down, so you dont tower above him.
Talk calmly but sweetly with him. Yawn and strech yourself a lot... Dont look into his eyes, look at his shoulder. When you arent there, you can put on soft relaxing music. Do NOT put on radio with human voices.... But do use your own friendly voice.... Or sing softly you you can and wish...

Its not sure cuddling with your hand is good. better to Use a wooden spoon in the beginning.... Spoon because its very smooth, and wood because it feels almost warm.

casportpony casportpony

imogen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had the best luck with my reluctant eaters feeding them from my hand--or off of my foot, lol. If I put some wet food on me, they were quick to lick it off, even when they wouldn't eat from a dish, plate or bowl. The same was true with dry food. If I held it cupped in my hand, they would eat it when they wouldn't off of any other surface. I could then slowly lower my hand to the plate (second best feeding surface for mine) and see if I could slip my hand out.

Mine hate those pellets, lol. If you have litter rather than pellets, that may help.

Poor little guy. I wonder how he ended up in your bushes!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

casportpony

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 , StefanZ StefanZ , & imogen imogen , thanks for your kind words & advice. :hugs: Luckily, the kitten has started eating & drinking. It's also pooped & peed.

This is the third time we've found a kitten on our property. :angryfire:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

casportpony

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's crazy, casportpony casportpony ! Is someone dumping them? Just one at a time?
idunno.gif
It looks like they might be. Each one of the kittens has been pretty tame, no hissing or growling like a feral kitten would.
Thanks for taking such good care of this little one. If food is going in and out, you're in good shape!:hearthrob:
Thanks! Weight is up today too, so I think we're gonna be okay.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I had the best luck with my reluctant eaters feeding them from my hand--or off of my foot, lol. If I put some wet food on me, they were quick to lick it off, even when they wouldn't eat from a dish, plate or bowl. The same was true with dry food. If I held it cupped in my hand, they would eat it when they wouldn't off of any other surface. I could then slowly lower my hand to the plate (second best feeding surface for mine) and see if I could slip my hand out.

Mine hate those pellets, lol. If you have litter rather than pellets, that may help.

Tx for the tip, especially for serving on the foot instead from the more common hand.... From the foot its prob less intimidating for a shy cat....

I shall remember the tip. Tx again.

imogen

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tx for the tip, especially for serving on the foot instead from the more common hand.... From the foot its prob less intimidating for a shy cat....

I shall remember the tip. Tx again.
It came about because these kittens are always curious about people's feet!! If they were sniffing and licking my foot anyway as I was sitting there, I thought I might as well put some cat food on it. (This makes me sound like a crazy person...and I'm not sure I'd post it anywhere else! But, it worked, lol.)