Found abandoned kitten, am I doing all that I can to help him?

katforcats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yay for the other 2 that you got!!  I'm mourning over the 3rd though.... UGH, I hate it when that happens!  Especially when it's stupid kids who do it on purpose (or men who hate cats)!  If you are up for the job of being kitty mom, and are able to afford some wellness check-ups at the vets, then please raise them and then find them GOOD homes.  The shelters, including many humane society's, are full to the brim and kill nearly all of them because they get in anywhere from 50-200 animals per day (depending on where you live)!!  Plus, they don't do home inspections, or care whether someone can afford an animal or not, so them adopting them out isn't as good as you adopting them out so long as you really check people out good.  About mom.... if she comes back pregnant, again, DON'T take her to the shelter!  If you end up needing to take them to an agency, please find a GOOD no-kill Cat rescue in your area (not all rescues are good, some bad people get 501c3's just to hoard or resell animals).  Where are you located, if you don't mind posting it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

castiel80q3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is the brother. He looks almost exactly like my little one, he even has the same face markings! I'm going to have to invest in a collar for Castiel to tell the difference! I haven't named him yet, though. He is friendly, but can be timid and frightened easily.

This one is the chubby little sister. I have named her Lilith. She likes to hide under the bed, but comes out when I bring food. Of course. She's not the friendliest. She lets me pet her, and every so often will let me pick her up and hold her. Doesn't last long, though. She scurries away after a few short minutes and hides under the bed. I don't know how to get her to be more comfortable. I wouldn't want her to be scared.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

castiel80q3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also, looking at how big Lilith is, I am beginning to wonder if the Humane society may have been wrong in estimating that Castiel was 4 weeks old. I mean, she looks like she is old enough to be adopted (which won't be happening until I know for sure that she is HEALTHY and TAME). I could be wrong. Again, not a cat person.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One tip I have seen mentioned to socialize kitten is to get down on the floor so you are at their level.  Sit in her room and read a book out loud.  Allow her to get used to the sound of your voice.  Do not try to approach her if she decides she wants to make contact let her decide on when and how much contact.  Once she decides she is going to hang out with you try putting treats on the floor a short distance away from you.  The treats can help create positive associations.  The key is being patient and letting her get comfortable with you on her terms.  Also if you are the person feeding her do so on a schedule because food can also be used to create positive associations.  

Hopefully someone who has actual experience can provide more helpful tips here. Any one who has knowledge of this type of situation please feel free to add your comments.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Good new and terrible news. Good news is I have the remaining kittens in my care now. Terrible news: there were only 2 to be rescued. One was in the street and you can guess what happened to him. Luckily, I didn't see it happen.

As for the other kittens, I can see who has been capitalising on the food I have put out in my attempts to catch them. The SISTER pushes her brothers away from the food dish and eats ALL of it. So she is kind of chubby haha. I now feed them separately. Though, she has taught Castiel how to eat from the dish, so I don't have to syringe feed him anymore. She also has gotten him to eat regular wet kitten food.
Maybe he was just depressed and wanting his siblings and that is why he wouldn't eat willingly. Who knows? I am just happy that things are looking up for him.

The other little boy is skinny like Castiel, but not AS bad. They all use the litter box now. Still haven't found Mama Kitty. According to my grandma, who is the only person to have ever seen her, she is a black/orange/white calico. The dad must have been a tabby because that is what I have been told the kittens are. The fur patterns are right for a mix like that. Anyway, I've heard that she may be in heat and has left and could return with more kittens. So, I will keep a look out. Should she return, I will attempt to trap both mom and baby(ies).

If she does return, and is pregnant, should I try and trap her before giving birth? If so, should I allow her to give birth here, or should I hand her over to the Humane Society immediately?
You got surely answers, but trap her before delivery yes.   Is spaying possible, you may consider it.  Even a quite late spaying is medically speaking possible if the vet is experienced in such, even if its unpleasant  ethically.. Otherwise, let her deliver at your place, and please do foster the next batch too.  And spay her...    Although, if you DO have a shelter or Humane Society nearby, it may be possible to arrange you cooperate with them, and are acting as their foster home.  You do the work, and they help you with  vet and spaying costs. Perhaps even help you with food and litter... As very often, their greatest difficulty is not always money, but almost always they dont  have place or enough with knowleable volunteers...  So this solution skissed is not unusual.   Talk with them and you will see what is possible.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is the brother. He looks almost exactly like my little one, he even has the same face markings! I'm going to have to invest in a collar for Castiel to tell the difference! I haven't named him yet, though. He is friendly, but can be timid and frightened easily.

This one is the chubby little sister. I have named her Lilith. She likes to hide under the bed, but comes out when I bring food. Of course. She's not the friendliest. She lets me pet her, and every so often will let me pick her up and hold her. Doesn't last long, though. She scurries away after a few short minutes and hides under the bed. I don't know how to get her to be more comfortable. I wouldn't want her to be scared.

Catlover gave some excellent advices.   Also, cats yawning and stretching, or stretching forepaws when laying down, is not being sleepy nor lazy, but its usually a greeting.

It helps you much if you recognize it, and respond.

Also,  YOU can do so too, to them.

A tip useful for kittens, when they have landed somewhat, is  to wrap them in a soft towel, alike a burrito, all legs up to the chin.  And you carry the kitten at your chest, talking friendly, making friendly noises  crooning, singing softly if you can and want - half an hour a whole hour...  Depends a little if thye are really vigorously trying to get away.  after a while.  Usually they dont do. Being wrapped up and immobile they cease resistance.   And after a while they accept the nearness, the caresses, the warm feeling of human friendhips.

This is a marvel with kittens, but may be tried with a little older kittens, even with adults.

After a couple of sessions the task is done.     :)

Its a little alike the american way of "breaking in" a horse, but 1000x more friendly and more sympathetic.   But the idea is the same: you get surprising good results after a surprising short time.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also bring special treats like soft flaked canned tuna in water and give a bit or two to the ones who venture up to see you. Only bring enough as treats just to let them see you are the bringer of good things. I suggest tuna as its very soft. Or soft cat treats but do watch your fingers some kitties get carried away with the yummyness. I've used baby food as well, no onion nor garlic in it though. I use the Beechnut turkey and broth brand. Please double check before giving it to these little ones.

Last edited:

parisinthe30sx

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know it's not a wonderful brand, but I had alot of luck befriending feral kittens using fancy feast kitten wet food. They have a turkey, and a whitefish variety. Very stinky. I tried all kinds of wet food to lure a kitten out from under my neighbors house,two days later I brought out the fancy feast kitten whitefish kind, and he popped out within seconds. So give it a try, it worked great for me.