Found a millipede around where my cat was whilst I was gone.

Toxiin

toxin
Kitten
Purraise
Just came home tonight and saw my cat, after arriving I saw a millipede and immediately killed it.Immediately afterwards another emerged.All of these were seen in the corner of my corner of my room, it's quite damp and I have a few crates there.So, is my cat excreting them or are they coming from outside? I recently dewormed my cat so that might be the cause, taking her to the vet tomorrow.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, welcome!!
My guess is that they're coming from outside, but of course that's just a guess, and you're right in that it seems odd that they're appearing right where your cat has been. A check by the vet is probably a wise thing.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am also going to guess that they are coming from the outside. They are not poisonous, but can make a cat sick if they eat them. Good to have the vet weigh in on what is going on though.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Millipedes -one of the oldest known land animals- are pretty harmless, and certainly would not be excreted by your cat. They do, only as a defense mechanism, excrete nasty odors or toxins which can cause a mild itch, depending on the species. Rather than smash them, you could cover them with a jar then slide something under it, or if gloves are handy, pick it up and take it out. They don’t bite. I doubt very much your cat would be interested in them, due to the smell. I would instead focus on the damp spot (they like damp spots) and dry it out and maybe see if there is an entry hole somewhere. ….Now, CENtipedes, that’s another story. They too aren’t squashworthy, but you’d be wise to attempt to shoo them out using only a broom (depending on species).