Found A Litter Of Kittens Today

myfamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I went out to check on my cat shelters and re-winterize them. They haven't been maintained since the beginning of last winter. I found a litter of 3 kittens in one of them. I know who the mama is because I saw her in the shelter many times, I just didn't know she had babies in there. I took the babies home, and then I trapped the mama about an hour later. She was easy to trap because I had a box trap by the shelter in which I put her food every night. So I just set the trigger on the trap and put her food in there. So now the mama and three kittens are reunited in a kennel in my bedroom. This is where it gets hairy. I am a renter in an apartment so there isn't a lot of room. I put the mama and her kittens inside of the bathtub, and put a sheet over the kennel, and pulled the shower curtain. Then the scary part is, I opened the door on the kennel. She is feral so I don't know what to expect when I check on them tomorrow morning? Will she be ready to pounce and try to escape? Or will she use the kennel as her refuge and stay in it with her kittens? I didn't know what else to do because it's not a big kennel, and thus not enough room for a litter box. So I opened the kennel door in case she needs to get out and pee, assuming she will use the litter box I provided. She has food and water in her kennel. Does anyone have suggestions about how I should proceed from here? The kittens do not seem to be nursing any longer. If I can I will post a pic of them Thanks for your advice.
HPIM2349.JPG

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Usually they do copy and cooperate when they have landed and understand nobody is mean to them. She also knows you are her food source and are friendly minded. So do have some thick clothes gloves and googles first time you go inside but hope for the best. Money bet is heavily for good positive cooperation. You had done extremely well so far.
How old are the kittens roughly?

myfamily myfamily

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do talk alot in a nice voice! Make lotsa of friendly sounds - croonlng

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Enter slowly and speak quietly. Mom seems to know you from feeding her.

Babies look about 5 weeks old. They should begin eating wet and dry food soon. They ideally need to be socialized and adopted in the next few weeks.

Mom needs to be spayed while you have her and before releasing her.

Thank you for helping them. Please keep us updated!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

myfamily

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She was inside the kennel (despite it being open), and seemed calm when I came into the bathroom this morning. There wasn't any pee or poop in the litter box. She ate the food I gave her last night, and I put some new food next to the kennel for her. Yes she does know me from feeding her. It is the first winter-like day outside today, the weather changed from being sunny and mild to rainy, cold, and raw. So at least they are warm and dry. I am going to work for 10 hours now. So I won't be able to see them til I get back tonight.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like she trusts you!

Is the rest of your colony spayed and neutered? How many cats do you care for?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Mom probably is bewildered, but surely appreciates being inside, warm and fed.

She will use the litter box soon.

ileen

with Luciano since 12/5/16
Super Cat
Purraise
I can only see two of the babies & the ears of the third, but they look absolutely gorgeous. Good job!