Found 5 fleas yesterday

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
How the heck does an indoor cat get fleas?! Ugh
Backstory: my boy was an outdoor cat for approx. the first 9-10 months of his life. He wasn’t officially mine until late March, early-April, which was when we also decided to keep him strictly indoors, have him neutered, dewormed, and microchipped. He of course had fleas, hence the tapeworms. But we got him treated for both. Flea treatment was for 3 months. So it had to have worn off sometime in June. I know, I probably should have purchased another round for flea treatment sooner for July but I completely forgot. Until yesterday I noticed 2 fleas on his paw. I killed them and removed them. I didn’t see any more. I decided to give him a bath with flea shampoo. After bathing him i saw another flea. And killed it as well. I looked through his fur and found nothing. Well after his fur had completely dried, I found another 2. 1 on his face, and the other had fallen on the floor. Killed those 2 as well. I haven’t seen any since. I ordered flea medication, and even paid for over night expedited shipping. I’m concerned that he may have swallowed one while grooming. It only takes 1 flea.

I’m thinking he must’ve gotten them when I take him on out the leash. His “friends” from when he used to be outdoors with come to visit him sometimes when I take him out , so I’m guessing he got it from them? But these recent times I’ve let them interact the flea med would’ve still been in effect.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Cats can get fleas even if they are indoor only - which your cat is not, since you take him for walks outside. But, as mentioned above, you can bring them in with you either on your shoes or clothes. Best to keep up with the flea treatment. You could look for a version that is monthly, which should help reduce the chances of it becoming less effective over time as might be the case with the one you used that was supposed to last for 3 months.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had a few flea infestations. I have indoor cats only. They don't go out on a leash or even a porch. My best theory is that I'm the source. I like to run the creek trails when the weather is good. I'm guessing the fleas catch up to me there. Maybe I should start wearing a flea collar in the summer.
🤦‍♂️ :crackup:

I also share an apartment community with a large number of dogs and a fair number of squirrels. It's possible I am picking up fleas even closer to home.

Now that you have seen a few, I would be proactive and go through all the strategies of tackling an infestation before the fleas you don't see start giving everyone grief.

This site is excellent for understanding the flea lifecycle, the treatment options, and why it's necessary to have a strategy and follow through on it.

FleaScience

And while it's dusty when it goes down, this stuff is really effective and long lasting. It isn't toxic to animals. But it is irritating if you breathe it while it's airborne. Do one room at a time. Shuffle all the animals out of that room for an hour. Wear a mask.

Home - Fleabusters

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have no carpeting anyplace in the house and no fabric window coverings, so it would seem that fleas should have no hiding places, right? However, my indoor only cats, and even one dog, all of whom were treated for fleas have had tapeworms from time to time. My source ended up being a bag of organic potting soil that I kept outside on the back patio and used for some indoor plants which are pet safe and non toxic. One day, I noticed fleas in the soil. Next step was that I started to keep potting soil just inside the back door, which helped a little bit. But as others have said...we all go outside, neighbors have pets, I have three ferals outside only one of whom will allow flea meds, so it happens.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
I applied the flea med. I feel a little better, but still concerned that he may have swallowed a flea. That’s the main thing that’s bugging me. I guess we’ll see when he poops or if I notice any crawling out his booty hole.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lallorona

Cat Munster
Super Cat
Purraise
It’s been about 3 or 4 weeks since I posted this thread and I am happy to say that Aslan does not have tapeworms. I’ve watched him poop and there are no signs of them ugly squirmy rice. :)