Fostering Kittens

typhons

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,
I want to volunteer to foster Kittens with my local shelter. I have already applied and have been approved. But would like some additional information. I have a 1 year and 1/2 cat at home who is not used to having other cats around. I will of course keep her separate from the kittens and do expect her hissing and growling at the closed door. My question is how much time should I have to do a good job with them? I am a phd student and hence have a lot of work; but I always put my cat first. I know i will sacrifice my work to do good by them, so i want to be sure I have enough time before committing. I am considering fostering older kittens( 6 weeks + ) and 2/3 at a time so they would have some one to play with.
I expect to need: 30 min of cleaning and feeding per day, 3*15 min of play with them , 30 min of additional like cuddling, calming my cat ect...
Is that realistic?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes if they are healthy.

One idea is you go in for the shy 8+ weeks whom are healty but need fostering by someone patient and addicted.

Having resident may help - esp if she wants to cooperate.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Definitely only take kittens that are already weaned and eating on their own.

Otherwise, hand-rearing tiny ones takes literally ALL your time! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

typhons

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your answers. I received a phone call yesterday about a 5 weeks kitten that is eating by himself but that desperately need a foster home so I took him in. He is doing fine, weights 471 grams and eat food well ( I mean a lot but put it everwhere).
I am feeling overwelmed but I could not say no to him and I will work harder later I guess. My resident cat is PISSED, growling and hissing every time I step out of the foster room. I was expecting it but still hurts a bit to see it happenning.

I hope I am doing good, want to do good to everyone involved.

typhons

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One stupid question: the kitten right now is in the bathroom but the bathroom is small and it;s hard anytime I want ot interact with him. I also have a big playpen, iwanted to put him in the playpen but afraid of the reaction of my resident cat. should i put him in there and let my resident cat approach the playpen or should I wait more?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The playpen is a good idea.
Compare with a net door which is a standard try while trying to get newcomer used to resident...

Try.

typhons

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I dont know however when it will be a good time to bring the playpen out in the living room. my resident cat is still upset.

By the way: how much weight should the kitten take per day at his age?

typhons

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My resident cat is very very upset still :( she hisses at me and growl at anything that has the kitten smell on. I was expecting it but it still breaks my heart to see :(. Hope I did not damage our relationship too much.

typhons

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,
I would have an additional question I am sorry. The little guy is by himself and I am trying to go in his room as much as i can but he is probably lonely. If it was just me I could cuddle while working. The problem is my resident cat. Do you have advices? How can I be close enought while spendin enought time with my resident cat?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you switch them sometimes? Is there a bedroom you could lock your resident in for an hour or so to give the kitten some lap time?

typhons

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your answer. I know you have a lot of things to do and that my questions are not critical by anymeans. I just love them so much and want to do the best I can.

I did exactly this and now I am working and my boyfriend is spending time with him. It's just hard balancing a resident cat that is used to be spoiled (with a LOT of daily play) and tiny kitten that needs me badly. But he had at lest 3 hours of human interaction today (counting feeding) so that should be good. I am trying to slowly letting the playpen in common areas without my resident cat being too stressed about it. Eventually I want him to be able to see us moving ect.. so he can get used to what a household looks like. :)

Thank you again.

He cleaned himself for the first time today! And he started playing with balls also for the first time today !!! :))