Fostering For The First Time

sydney

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
so I work at an animal hospital that works with some rescues and they need a foster for two kittens, one has a broken leg that is having surgery tomorrow. So I currently have a 5 month old kitten and he has his own room with hardwood floors that has his food and litter box, and a place of his own away from my 3 cat friendly dogs. I have another spare room I can keep these kittens in however it has shag type carpet, the only thing I worry about is I know cats tend to go to the bathroom on "soft" things, they will obviously have a litter box in there with them, but should be concerned about them possibly peeing on the carpet? I was thinking of putting them in my kittens cat room with the hardwood floors but I don't want my kitten feeling displaced, if they don't get along and I have to keep him out of there. Any thoughts? Thanks!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is your resident cat integrated into the house at all?

I would say to put the fosters in the kitten's room for sure. You want someplace easy to clean. I would move your cat out of there altogether. You will need to do a separation period between residents and fosters for health reasons. Either allow your cat in the house, or move him to the shag carpeted room.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sydney

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My current kitten Charlie is already allowed all over the house, I just let him have hat room for his food and litter box so the dogs don't get to it. I think what I'll do is put Charlie's litter box in the bathroom next door this morning, so the kittens can have that room with the hardwood floors. I'll keep them in there for a bit till I know everyone is healthy, I also gotta keep the one with a broken leg in there all the time so he can heal.
Thanks!

sydney

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just picked them up! The poor guy with the broken leg had surgery today to fix that and got neutered, he looks miserable, just gave him his antibiotics and pain meds, wish I could do more for him, gonna let them be in the kitten room for the evening, then hangout with them tomorrow since I have it off work. I feel bad for the poor guy

Attachments

sydney

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
These kittens are really awesome, wish I could keep both, fearless! I just introduced the one with the broken leg to my other cat and my big dogs, he wasn't even scared, just walked right up to them, started purring and tried rubbing his head in them. He seems to be doing good, he's done with his pain meds so he has his energy back, so keeping him as calm as I can. He got a bandage change yesterday and a sanitary shave on his back end so I can keep him clean easier. Hoping for a fast and good recovery!