Fostering cats and dogs with cats

kittywhisper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My old cat of 17 years and dog of 16 years recently passed away. I decided to adopt two kittens who are 12 and 15 weeks and they are settling in nicely. I wanted cats that would bond with each other and I am more of a cat person and they are easier then dogs especially late in life when they get elderly. It also is easier to arrange care for a cat and two animals is what we can afford.

I got my cats from a rescue that uses foster homes before adoption. Once the kittens get a little bigger and we feel ready I have considered fostering dogs that are cat friendly or not the type to have a prey drive or cats. I like the idea of having dogs around for a little while but not having the medical expenses or care later in life for a dog and being able to to say this is not working out can they go to another foster. I I also like the idea of helping animals and spending time with them but knowing they will go to screened loving homes.

Can young cats/older kittens get used to having other animals around that stay temporarily? I know that introductions need to be slow and have read about the process. I feel I need some time first but it is something I would like to do if it is possible.