Fostering 12 y/o cat - won't come out of closet to eat or use litter box?

jmyw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, 3 weeks ago I brought home a 12 y/o cat from a shelter. He is very fearful and hides from me and my partner. Initially, he was just very scared of us but no hissing or scratching and he would let us pet him. We were not given any information about his personality or history, only that he seems to be very frightened of people. We set him up in his own room with food, water, his litter box and toys. He hid but he ate his food and used his litter box with no problems. 1 week into being in our home, we had to put him into a carrier and bring him to the vet for dental extractions. He growled at us and made it very clear he hated the whole situation. When he got back from the vet, he started hissing at us whenever we would get too close to him, but he would still let us pet him. We attributed his hissing to pain, anger, and even more fear.

Two nights ago, I left his door slightly open but did not realize he could squeeze through (it's a sliding door). He is now hiding in one of our closets and will not come out to eat or use his litter box in his room. I moved the food/water and litter box closer to where he is, but he has not come out of the closet since he went in. I am not sure if I should let him be and wait for him to come out on his own, or bring him back to his old room as he hasn't eaten since he went into the closet (he eats once a day at night). I figured he would probably hate me even more if I try to get him back into his room, but at least he'll go back to eating and using his litter box. He does not come out of hiding if anyone is in the apartment, even at night when we are asleep. He won't come out even for treats and catnip. We're trying to talk to him while he's in the closet to socialize him, but we haven't tried moving him. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It’s possible they gave him Simbadol or buprenorphine SR for his dental extractions. It’s a long acting (72 hours) opioid. A lot of cats have upsetting reactions to it. But it passes. And at least while it lasts, you don’t have to worry about giving medicine to a cat that doesn’t want to be handled. Search this site for “simbadol” to read about these reactions.

I would move him back to his room. He’s clearly too scared being in your closet. Yes. In the short term, you’re not going to win a popularity contest with him. But it’s in his best interest to remove him back to a more secure environment where he was eating and using the litter box. Cats don’t hold grudges and with time he’ll become more comfortable and confident, eventually returning your affections. Being a loving guardian means you sometimes have to do unpopular things like necessary dental care and returning him back to his safe room to feel secure enough to eat again.

If he was given Simbadol, he may not eat for three days. Still better to move him than leave him be. He’s clearly not ready to have other room privileges yet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jmyw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It’s possible they gave him Simbadol or buprenorphine SR for his dental extractions. It’s a long acting (72 hours) opioid. A lot of cats have upsetting reactions to it. But it passes. And at least while it lasts, you don’t have to worry about giving medicine to a cat that doesn’t want to be handled. Search this site for “simbadol” to read about these reactions.

I would move him back to his room. He’s clearly too scared being in your closet. Yes. In the short term, you’re not going to win a popularity contest with him. But it’s in his best interest to remove him back to a more secure environment where he was eating and using the litter box. Cats don’t hold grudges and with time he’ll become more comfortable and confident, eventually returning your affections. Being a loving guardian means you sometimes have to do unpopular things like necessary dental care and returning him back to his safe room to feel secure enough to eat again.

If he was given Simbadol, he may not eat for three days. Still better to move him than leave him be. He’s clearly not ready to have other room privileges yet.
Thank you for your reply! I managed to get him back with a ton of growling but hopefully he'll forgive me with time.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Check your vet bill or call the vet up. If they gave him buprenorphine SR (or brand name Simbadol), he's out of his mind right now. Give it three days and if he's not eating by the fourth, call the vet back. They should be able to give you a transdermal appetite stimulant called Mirtaz that you can rub in his ear to restart his eating.