Foster Kittens

GracieMae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, I am not sure where to post this so I guess I will post here...

A bit about us...I have been with my husband for 8 years. Together we have one son(he's 5 and will be our only).We have a male Manchester terrier(4 years old, I got him from a breeder before I knew about rescuing), a male chihuahua (6 months old...bottle fed baby...not a normal one person chihuahua...he loves everyone), and a 9 week old female kitten that was a rare rescue with a known hoarder. I'm so grateful that she allowed us to take this litter. She had two brothers who are in a great home together.

She is not my first cat. Well my first cat I own(really she owns me) but not the first cat in my home. For the last few years I have fostered many kittens and cats for our local rescues. Unfortunately here we have a kill shelter and a non kill foundation that rarely takes cats because they are so full of dogs. Amazingly an amazing group of women got together and started their own non profit organization. They save, vet, and rescue cats and kittens from the kill shelter, TNR, and take cats that others cant/don't want. I only foster though for them... I wish I could do more but right now this is all I can do...

Here's the thing I have always wanted a grey female cat like my grandmother had whom I loved so much! I found her and I got her... she is literally my world. I cant even believe how great of a kitten she is. She took a lot of work to get here but she was and is so worth everything.

I am fostering three moms and their litters right now. I love fostering it makes me feel so complete....

Here is my issue and I'm so sorry for the long post I just wanted perspective...

My husband puts up with cats but is not the biggest cat person but he loves that I'm happy with fostering and has loved many of my fosters.

Out of my 3 litters their is this tuxedo Male that is 6 weeks old. I swear anytime I am around he crawls up my pants to my lap and purrs. He follows me everywhere. He cries when I leave their room. He always wants to be held by me. I have tried to bring him around my dogs and my kitten. He doesn't even seemed phased my the dogs and runs up against them. As soon as he is with my kitten he cries for either his mom/siblings or me.

I'm not sure where to go from here... I feel like he is choosing me even though I dont want a foster fail... he is stealing my heart. Yet it makes me feel so bad when he cries while around my 9 week old kitten. I'm just confused. Is he choosing me or is he just a human cat who wouldn't thrive here but with someone else? I've never had a foster fail but darn it he might be it....

Should I adopt him?

Pics of Gracie and the tuxedo foster...

Attachments

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: Thank you for all you're doing for the foster moms and kittens. :)

Gracie is paws-itively precious. :catlove:

The little tuxedo guy is a cutie pie too. :catrub:

Should I adopt him?
That's such a hard question to answer. And since I've never fostered, and only have one cat with no intention of adopting another, I'm probably the last person to try to answer your question, but I'll give it a shot.

You sound like you have a huge heart, and I fear you're going to want to keep many of the cats/kittens you foster, and obviously that isn't possible.

Since the little tuxedo is so friendly, and gets along with your kitten and dogs, I suspect he'd have no trouble fitting into any family that adopts him. So talk to your husband, and the foster organization and get their thoughts.

Good luck. Let us know what you decide.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
You know, it isn't all that unusual for a cat to be less phased by a dog than another cat. I have one of those. I think it may be because they don't see the dog as being in competition for the same resources, and I think that reaction may be instinctual.

Generally, I have to agree with rubysmama rubysmama . Search your heart, and have a long talk with your husband. Let him get to know this little one. Talk with the foster organization, as well. Introduce the kitten to a few more (select) people, and see how he does with them...that will help you know if he is bonded with you, specifically, or if he's just a people-cat. Foster fails happen, but it's so easy to end up with more cats than you bargained for!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GracieMae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone...I sent my mom pic of him and he look just like her passed 19 year old cat. I'm hoping my mom will take him...

We just got hit with another explosion so right now its sadly get kittens I t oh rescue tnr moms...

I truly wish it wasnt this way but it is in our area.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GracieMae

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Get kittens rescue tnr moms

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That would be nice if your Mom adopts him. Then he'll still be part of the family.

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
rubysmama rubysmama is right - a cute, friendly tuxedo is going to be adopted right away and you don't have to worry about her finding a good home. But sometimes you do connect with an animal and that bond forms right away - I held a torch for my Barry for months as he languished in a Petsmart adoption booth. He was the opposite of your tuxedo boy - shy and withdrawn in the booth and maybe a little feral - but I knew he was "my cat" right away.