Foster Kittens Have Swimmer Syndrome

wingwalker

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi there, I work in a vet office and my doctor asked me to take care of two 3-week-old swimmer kittens from a feral mom (the other two kittens are normal). My boss has no experience with swimmer kittens, she did not even know that cats can have swimmer syndrome, so she sent me to another vet out of town, who taped the rear legs and told me to do physical therapy including hydro therapy with them.
And of course I failed to ask what exactly to do.
I started yesterday, doing some flexing and extending of the hind limbs for a while, but I am not sure if this is what I am supposed to do, and how often and how long. Any experiences? I read the threat about the flat chest kittens, and luckily mine do have normal chests.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wingwalker

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My computer and cell phone are not on speaking terms... another project. Anyway, it is only the hind legs. TipToe drags his legs behind him, while his sister Tulip keeps them frog-like to the side. Both are taped now and drag them behind, unless I correct manually, then they will stay under them for a few seconds.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is usually a tendon problem, often caused when kittens are squeezed in utero and the legs do not have room to develop properly.

When caught early and worked with properly, the prognosis is good for the legs becoming normal. It's good you are getting started with them now.

You need to massage the legs to warm them up before you work them. This needs to be done several times a day.

Taping is good, and homemade splints can be used as well. Sports tape works well.

This link shows how front legs are straightened. The same process is used for back legs.

Contracted Tendons of the Front Legs: Twister's Story

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
An IR-heating lamp may be useful For warming ftem up before the actual exercises