Foster Kitten Thrives Until Leaving Foster Home

Mimi527

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I didn’t exactly know what category to put this in or what to put as the title but I am a foster kitten momma and I have had this little kitten that has just been a bunch of work. He took awhile to be ready to be fixed and put up for adoption (we foster until 8 weeks and at least 2 lbs and/or until healthy) then they go to a clinic to be adopted. About a week and a half later I got the call that he was on IVs and close to death but I’d get him back when he pulled through because he’d stop eating. I got him back and he rebounded instantly and in two weeks he was ready to go back. Today my foster coordinator called me to tell me this happened again; another week and a half later.

The vets haven’t found any health issues either times, he has other behavioral problems and I’m just at a loss. Has anyone else heard of this happening, because I’m just so upset that he keeps having this happen.

SDerailed

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Many cats have high stress levels when they leave their 'home' which causes flair ups of other diseases like herpes and FeLV. I'm not sure there is a test for herpes, but this sounds like what I see a lot in shelter situations when cats are moved into the adoption floor. Can you tell us more about his behavior problems and exactly the symptoms when he crashes in his new home?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mimi527

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Many cats have high stress levels when they leave their 'home' which causes flair ups of other diseases like herpes and FeLV. I'm not sure there is a test for herpes, but this sounds like what I see a lot in shelter situations when cats are moved into the adoption floor. Can you tell us more about his behavior problems and exactly the symptoms when he crashes in his new home?
He tested negative for both of those, however I know feline herpes can test negative until they’re having an active infection, however he has never had symptoms indicating he has it.

He hasn’t gotten to a home yet, as they adopt out of clinics but prior to the clinic he had food aggression issues and he would pee in my husband’s hamper (and only that hamper, not mine or anything else other then the liter box.) And he was very needy and vocal, like constantly.
His only symptom is that he stops eating and loses a bunch of weight, otherwise they have said he’s pretty much the cat.

I’ve been apart of all the vet care that’s been done on him, except when he was on the adoption floor.

SDerailed

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
With his behavior and the symptoms, I'm thinking the stress is just overwhelming to him. Do you think you could ask for another cat for him to bond to, and then theyd be adopted together? Maybe he just needs a friend to help anchor him a bit.
Or, maybe he needs to be adopted straight to a home situation. The shelter can be overwhelming for anyone, but harder on a kitty who has a needy personality

Mimi527

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
With his behavior and the symptoms, I'm thinking the stress is just overwhelming to him. Do you think you could ask for another cat for him to bond to, and then theyd be adopted together? Maybe he just needs a friend to help anchor him a bit.
Or, maybe he needs to be adopted straight to a home situation. The shelter can be overwhelming for anyone, but harder on a kitty who has a needy personality
I have talked to my coordinator about something like that, they even had him going home with a receptionist at night but unfortunately it’s out of her hands when it comes to the adoption process. This is our third time giving him back and it’s honestly harder each time.

SDerailed

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would see whose hands it might be in. Or just adopt him and then do a private adoption with someone else. What area are you in? If you are anywhere close to the DC area I could help.

Mimi527

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would see whose hands it might be in. Or just adopt him and then do a private adoption with someone else. What area are you in? If you are anywhere close to the DC area I could help.

I may end up adopting and doing a private honestly. I was supposed to leave the rescue as a foster/coordinator after my current active fosters are adopted, because of chaos in the rescue currently, and who knows how long figuring this out with him. We’re in Chicago area but thank you!

SDerailed

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Whatever you do, I'm sure itll be the best thing for him. Good luck!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It does sound as though he's bonded to you and that's that in his world view.