Foster Kitten Purrs Very Loudly Nonstop

cocobutterfly

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello all!

We recently picked up three 4-week old foster kittens. One of them purrs non-stop and VERY loudly. I have had many foster kittens but none purred this loud and this much. It's sometimes unsettling. He also suckles a lot - my shirt, my neck, the blanket, his food bowl - which is an indication that he's seeking comfort the way he did when suckling on his mom. He is otherwise a healthy, playful, affectionate and sweet kitten, but I wonder if anyone's had a similar experience with excessively purring kittens. Did it eventually diminish?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Cats purr to express contentment. They also purr to soothe themselves when frightened or in pain. My guess is this kitten feels content.

The pregnant stray I took in (and kept) purred non-stop during her labor for hours and hours.

I had an elderly kitty who purred a great deal towards the end of her life as she did not feel well.

I took in a friend's 2 cats after she passed away from cancer. One of them purrs extremely loudly and frequently even after a year in my home. She's an incredibly sweet and affectionate cat. :)