Foster Kitten not using litter box

fats mcgee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just got a new foster kitten and she's about 6 weeks old and she's not using the litter box. She's in an ex-pen with another kitten (not her sibling, but new BFF) who uses the box fine. I do not know what her history before now is. She was dirty and flea infested so I'm assuming she was outdoors. Her stool is normal and it is intentional pooping, not "Oh, crap, I have the runs!" sort of pooping.

Advice to get some good box habits going?

merrytreecats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Poor baby! So fortunate that you took her in!

She has been raised outside and at 6 weeks old, is barely potty trained at all as they say. She is just confused. Probably, out there she was taught to just go anywhere, and inside your house she is continuing this.

You might want to try confining her to one room for a bit and keeping a close eye on her, making sure the litterbox is also not too tall for her to easily get into--kittens that age are quite small. She's more likely to try the box if there are fewer other choice areas to go. Watch her and when she seems about to go, place her in the box and see what she does. You have to be her mommy and train her to do this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fats mcgee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah, she's in an exercise pen. I learned a long time ago not to give kittens this young free range! She's pooping in the x-pen on the towels on the floor. She is able to get in and out of the box well. She goes in it, but doesn't GO, if you know what i mean!

merrytreecats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
At her age it is not a territorial or sexual/hormonal thing...she just doesn't understand that that's where she's supposed to go, I think. But she's quite young so still can be trained. Since she seems used to and likes to go on towels, is there a way to place her on a hard smooth surface instead, and/or maybe place a towel IN the box, to get her used to the idea of at least the box being just as good as the floor?

marine

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You may try a product called Cat Attract. You sprinkle some in the litter pan and that has helped me a lot with fosters.
Also, when she poo's on the towel, put it in the pan and cover it. She will recognize her own scent there.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried putting a pan of dirt in there for her to use? Perhaps that's what she's used to. If she starts using the dirt, then you can gradually change it to real litter over a few weeks time.