Foster Kitten Losing Hair On Nose...

kara701

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is this something to be worried about? What is this? None of her other siblings have it. It was very little at first, I assumed she got it from playing with her siblings, but now it's like this.

Attachments

graywing

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This reminds me of a bacterial infection that Wolf had when she was roughly 4 months old. She had been a feral kitten but we tamed her and took indoors since we worried for her safety. We kept her quarantined in a bathroom until she saw a vet to take a look at her. At first, they thought it could have been ringworm. Regarding your kitten, I wouldn't rule out ringworm myself seeing this either, but then again I went through it with Gizmo and I've always been a bit of a hypochondriac when it comes to ringworm since.

I would consider quarantining the kitten and take her to the vet as soon as possible. It'd really be good to know what it is, and if it is ringworm, you'll want to start cleaning up after spores.

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree with graywing graywing . It could be a skin infection that has no other symptoms but fur loss. I’d take her to a vet to do a skin scrape. It doesn’t look like ringworm, but it is possible.

The only other thing is if she is over grooming or rubbing against something that would cause her fur to fall out.

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm, I agree with the others to take her to the vet. :einstein:

It could be caused by a number of reasons, including allergies (to mites, fleas, the environment, food etc); stress (rubbing); bacteria/fungus (ringworm etc); trauma (she might have been bopped by someone's paw or bashed it somehow); nasal dermatitis (often as a reaction to sunshine); and then there's autoimmune diseases n cancer n stuff.

It doesn't look red, inflamed, or pussy, which is a good sign. Is it itchy?

Whatever is causing it, vet is best.

She looks like a wee angel. :angel3:

Monk'sMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We adopted a kitty recently and the rescuer said she had just developed a hairless spot on her nose. The rescuer hypothesized it could be a fungus. A few days later, and the spot became two spots, then three. When I took her to the vet I was told that once we clear the eremites (she had plenty of other issues, poor baby) the spots would clear also. The vet was right. :) --So I don't know what is causing your kitty's, but here's a another vote for a vet visit.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Most of the members who participated in the thread have not been back in quite a while, so you may not get a response.