Foster Kitten - First Vet Visit, Post-visit sleep

aztrish

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all - I am a first time kitten foster and had to take my foster kitten to the vet for the first time for some tummy issues (approximately 7-8 weeks old). She was SUPER stressed at the vet. They took blood and did subQ fluids early this morning, and we got home around 8:30 a.m. She's been tired and sleeping ever since (it's now about 2:30 p.m.) Is this due to the stress? Just wondering how normal this is for her to be this tired after the visit. Oh, and they also gave her anti-nausea meds. :zzzcat:

pipperoo

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
anti-nausea (i.e. gravol) causes drowsiness
so does a big trip to the vet (think "emotional exhaustion")
She's a little baby, they require a lot of sleep anyway, over 20 hours/day. Sleep is very beneficial for a growing youngster.
I think she will be back to normal tomorrow.

(just an aside, when one of my kittens was a few months old, my niece played with her with a wand toy pretty vigorously for a good half hour. That little kitten ZONKED OUT for a good part of the day, i remember being worried. she was exhausted, and after about 18 hours, back to her old self)

If they did a PCR panel, it will look for a lot of things that can cause digestive issues. My cat had horrendous (the smell-aye carumba!) diarrhea when i adopted her from a shelter. Turns out she had c. perfringens (bacterial infection) which was dealt with by a couple of rounds of antibiotics and some s.boulardi (probiotic)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

aztrish

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
anti-nausea (i.e. gravol) causes drowsiness
so does a big trip to the vet (think "emotional exhaustion")
She's a little baby, they require a lot of sleep anyway, over 20 hours/day. Sleep is very beneficial for a growing youngster.
I think she will be back to normal tomorrow.

(just an aside, when one of my kittens was a few months old, my niece played with her with a wand toy pretty vigorously for a good half hour. That little kitten ZONKED OUT for a good part of the day, i remember being worried. she was exhausted, and after about 18 hours, back to her old self)

If they did a PCR panel, it will look for a lot of things that can cause digestive issues. My cat had horrendous (the smell-aye carumba!) diarrhea when i adopted her from a shelter. Turns out she had c. perfringens (bacterial infection) which was dealt with by a couple of rounds of antibiotics and some s.boulardi (probiotic)
Thank you so much! She is actually doing much better today, I'm grateful.