Foster Help... Stool Issues

lisareneeo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i have fostered before but it’s been awhile. I have 5 seeet babies who are about 6 weeks... got them a week ago. Their stool became very mushy in the last few days which did not alarm me too much because I am sure they are just getting use to their new food ( fancy feast kitten wet food) and Iams kitten dry food. Gave them a little pumpkin in wet food and arms to have helped but I’ve noticed a small amount of blood and n 1 or 2 of the kittens stool... should I be alarmed ?

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A small amount of blood in the stool should be easily treatable. Likely cause would be typical worms, with coccidian a more serious possibility. Does the place you foster for provide vet checks and treatment? The kittens should have a schedule for somewhat frequent wormings.

(A large amount of blood in the stool would be an emergency.)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The kittens may need a round of Albon. They may have an intestinal infection that has nothing to do with their food.

Miss_Molly1995

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It’s most likely worms. My kitten is also very very sensitive to most foods. I noticed a little blood so I got her worked right away. The blood went away, but her poop was still runny. I have her on a no grain diet and got her worked and she no longer has issues. Good look with your foster kittens. Kittens are a lot of work, I can barely handle 1!

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
I would see if you can get a stool exam done but would start worming with panacur. Although I agree with the rest they may need a round of Albon!