Foster Failure

Mimi527

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Recently I got my first official liter of kittens to foster. I’ve had other rescues that I’ve bottle fed and found homes for, but I was always under 18. So this is my first adult fostering experience and I’ve completely fallen in love with one kitten in particular. He cries when he is with anyone but me, he follows me everywhere and I cannot imagine parting with him. Whereas I loved the other kittens and kittens I’ve rehomed in the past but I never felt this much emotion regarding having to give one up and I just can’t even bare to imagine doing this. I would love to still foster but my friends are making me second guess by saying what if another one turns up better and that I’d continue to want all the kittens but I think I’ll be content with the three forever furbabies. I could say the same thing about any other thing in my life, but when you know you know. Anyone have any suggestions or things to consider?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Many foster parents have one or two foster fails. There is nothing wrong or unusual. The big thing is to leave it at only one or two; otherwise you'll end you with a dozen cats and no room to foster.

I'd probably keep this one and then see how it goes from there. If you end up with another one you want to keep then I'd reconsider if fostering is the right thing. But not at this point.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mimi527

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I am worried of how I’ll look to the rescue but they seem super okay with foster failures. I will definitely have to do another liter and see if fostering is right for me. My husband won’t allow me more then 4 and if I get him I’ll have 3 :)

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
We've all been there, and I'm sure many at the rescue have, too. If you truly love this kitten and he feels the same about you, you may greatly regret giving him up. Just keep in mind that there is a limit to the number of those sweet little darlings you cant hang on to!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mimi527

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I’ve talked to the women who oversees me in fostering and she said it’s normal and to have a cap of max cats and they will help me stick to that.
She was actually here last night and asked me if I was going to adopt him after she saw how attached he is to me. At that point I just knew. If other people can see what I see then it’s meant to be.
I can’t say no. Even my uncle joking about adopting him just broke my heart

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The last three kittens I fostered, I ended up keeping two of them. I can't even imagine what it would have been like to not keep them. Especially Samai. I literally cried at the thought of having to give her back to the shelter when the time came. I've had many cats, and she quickly became my favorite and most loved cat. Now she's 19 months and I couldn't bear to be without her.
Like you said, when you know...you know.

Unfortunately I cannot foster anymore because Samai would eat them.

BlueJay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Don't worry about what your friends say. Yes there are many wonderful cats in the world, some may be "better" in one sense and others "better" in another. IMO the BEST cats are the ones you know and love and bond with over time :catlove::catrub: