foster colors again

riley1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have two foster kittens from the same litter.  One is a orange tabby male and the other is a tortie female.  Does this mean that the male cat's mom was an orange tabby?  I am trying to follow that a female kitten will be the combo of mom and dad colors and the male will be the mom's color.  Does this hold true for orange tabbies and tortie? Before I was only dealing with black and white so it worked out as it should.  If any one know how this works let me know.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mom could have been tortie or orange, and dad could have been dark or orange. Scenario #1: mom is tortie, dad is orange. Mom passes on orange gene to male and dark gene to female, dad passes on orange gene to female. Scenario 2: mom is orange, dad is dark. Mom passes on orange gene to both kittens, dad passes on dark gene to female.

The only way to know for sure which scenario is correct (other than seeing the mother :lol3:) is if there had been an all-orange or all-dark female kitten.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

riley1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you!  Sometimes we have the mom but mostly not.  Never get to see dad.   He is long gone.  LOL