Foster cat pooping right next to food bowl

vervainandrue

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,
I have three very sad foster cats. They were rescued from a hoader house, and, for lack of a better description, have broken little spirits. They are the saddest cats I've ever met, and I've fostered quite a few. They are clearly going to be with me for awhile while I work with them to accept joy and love into their hearts. Anyways, one of them started pooping right next to the food bowl (I know which one because he did it when I was in the room). He does it at least once a day. I have two large uncovered litter boxes in the room, which I keep quite clean. I moved one box closer to their food but that hasn't made a difference. This particular cat, along with his brother and sister, are big eaters and really love their wet food. I make sure they get more than enough food every day. All three cats are very bonded and don't fight. Does anyone have any idea why a cat would do this, and what I should do to address it? FYI they have been dewormed and neutered. Thanks so much in advance.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Given these cats came from a hoarding situation, I think this one cat is marking his territory to 'protect' his food. Cats can and will use poop just as much as they do pee to 'mark'. Are you feeding them from the same bowl(s)? If so, give them each their own food bowls, and a little space between them. If not, I would try to set up a separate feeding area/station for at least the one, to see if he can come to realize that his bowl is HIS food and no one else's.