Foster Cat Loves To Bite And Stalk

LisaBLee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i have a foster cat I’ve been struggling to integrate with my cats and he also likes to bite and stalk me. I’ll try and summarize:
In mid-February I was contacted to help rescue a cat that a feeder noticed had a bad uri. My rescue group said yes so I got him, but when it was discovered he also had ringworm, no one would foster so I became his foster. He is a littlest over one and was neutered. I kept him separate in our bedroom for 6 weeks. When he was sick he was super friendly and then 3 weeks later he started lunging and biting me hard. I ramped up playtime and was consistent with loud “ouches” and calm, firm “no’s” but after attacking us while sleeping I had to crate him at night. His feeder said he was outgoing and would even try to get inside cars. I finally moved him to another room so he wouldn’t have to be crated and we could sleep but he’s alone while we work.
I thought perhaps the continued lunging and biting meant he was lonely and after interest from a few people with cats, I decided to try slow integration. Feeding on opposite sides, site swapping, seeing each other through door cracks. He plays footsies with my cat under the door, but there’s always violent swatting between both and twice when I tried letting them be together he lunged and bit my cat. He doesn’t hiss or growl, but he also doesn’t react to my cat’s hisses and always wants to go gmforward and attack. I brought him out on a leash and he always wants to bite. He’s so sweet at times and lets me kiss his head and loves head scratches, but he also still likes stalking and lunging at me. I know how to get him to stop, but worried I won’t find someone to adopt him while he displays this behavior. I lock my cats in the bathroom and let him hang with us in the living room, play a few hours each day with him. Could it be that he just doesn’t like cats? It’ll be 3 months soon and I’m at a loss. He’s truly a handsome gray boy with big cheeks but I wish I could understand his behavior more so I can find the right home. Thanks for any advice!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LisaBLee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Sorry! I didn’t mention that the vet thinks he’s a little over 1. He was unneutered and had pretty stinky pee til I got him neutered. Maybe why he was dumped :( I thought maybe his dominant behavior was just residual extra hormones?

JamesCalifornia

Mr.Mom to a house of cats 😇😼
Top Cat
Purraise
~ I have a few cats with unusual behavior when young and as they got older seemed to "grow out " of the habit . I believe it was at about one year the behavior became more normal .
So nice that you are caring for a special needs kitty ! Best wishes to you ... :vibes: GOOD VIBES ~

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LisaBLee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! yes I’m hoping Nic just needs more time to mellow out. I have another foster cat, River with a heart condition who was feral and slowly warming up. He likes my cats and they sleep near each other but he takes cues like hissing from my cat and knows when he’s too close whereas Nic hears hissing and moves forward.