Foster Cat Litter Box Habit

Doody

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am fostering a mama and 4 kittens (first time foster). Kittens were already 10 weeks when I got them. Two of the kittens are gone (adopted) and the remaining two leaving this weekend.

They are all sharing one extra large litter pan that gets cleaned a minimum of three times a day. So far, so good except for mama.

First issue, she doesn't successfully cover her poop. She goes poop, steps out the box and then proceed to "scratch" everywhere but where the poop is, including scratching at the sides of the box and sometimes waves her paw in the air. Then she walks away leaving smelly, uncovered poop. Sometimes her poor kittens jump in and cover it for her!

Secondly, four times now (I've had her three weeks), she has pooped over the side of the box. I am pretty sure she is in it with her butt hanging over, but I guess I can't be 100% certain.

Is this common? I have never owned a cat that does this.

I want her to get adopted soon, but I sure hope her new family can overlook her poor litterbox habits.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not covering litter is not that uncommon, and unfortunately, there isn't much you can do about it. That's just who they are. Now, the going over the side of the box, THAT you can fix...change the box. What you want (and you may have to make it out of a Rubbermaid tote) is a high-sided box with the entry on the LONG side. It's easy to find one with the entry on the end, that won't do it. What you want is a box that when she enters it, her face will be right up again, or very near, the opposite side. That will cause her to naturally turn in the box, facing away from the opening.

Something like the blue one on the top left is what I'm thinking...

upload_2019-9-16_15-11-59.jpeg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Doody

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well the top blue one would be interesting for her, because after she poops, she steps out of the box and then reaches in and attempts to cover it (always missing it of course).

This will either force her to stay in and cover, or she will walk out and say "forget it!".

I will look for this box this weekend, as soon as the kittens are all gone.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I wonder if she would use a covered box. That would, at least, contain the odor.