Foster cat in heat and two other cats in the home, best way to keep everyone happy?

pegleg

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So Hanna's gone into heat. She's about a year old at most and was only separated from her kittens when she came here a week ago. She'll be spayed in about a week or so .

She'd been getting on really well with my two but became a bit standoffish with them, before becoming all flirty.

My little girl cat is confused by her behaviour, and has decided to join in the weird herself, and my poor little boy cat is a bit scared by having a bum shoved in his face repeatedly. Both of mine were spayed before reaching sexual maturity.

How to I keep a happy home and make everyone happy?

They were all starting to play together until her hormones kicked in and she started to become a bit agressive. I spend time playing with them all and giving them individual attention. They can all have a nap in the same room with me but they can also all ignore each other and have their own spot around the house, as well as pushing it with me. They're all in their teenage phase.

At night and when I'm out the flat for long periods of time I shut Hanna's in 'her' room. Is this something I should just ride out and carry on as normal or is there anything particular I should be doing? There's no particular problem as of yet, I just want to do the best for them all.

She's been waving her bum's at me as I type!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, ride it out.  That's about all you can do!  They're a bit...persistant when in heat, aren't they?  We took in a stray years ago, and before we could get her to the vet (about 4 days after taking her in), she went into heat.  No one in the house could go barefoot without our toes being in danger of  molestation.  Hang in there, and get her in ASAP!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pegleg

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had wondered about the foot fetish. She's currently enjoying a pair of my flip flops.

Biffs, my boy, doesn't just walk past her now, he jumps over her and runs away!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I can remember those days so well!  With Hekitty, we spent the first year or so of her life in an unfinished garage (long, strange story).  She had a severe allergy to concrete, and lost all her fur except for her paws, head, and the tip of her tail.  I was never aware of her being in heat for that full year and a half.  I don't know if the severe allergy actually delayed her heat, or if the misery of the itching overrode it.  For a while, she was in for cortisone shots so often that I thought I'd NEVER get the money saved to get into an apartment!  We finally got moved, and within a week, she was in full heat!  Of course, I'd just paid everything I had for a deposit, and utility deposits, so we had to wait two months for the spaying.  Her big thing was to sit at the front door and sing, "Let MEOUT!  Let MEOUT!  NEOW, NEOW, NEOOOOOOOOOOOOW!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pegleg

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Aww, poor He kitty.

Hanna's relatively calm and isn't much of a talker, luckily. At least she's got an appetite now, she's slightly less scrawny which is wonderful.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Small steps.  Small steps.  They add up.  She'll be a wonderul cat pretty soon!