Forum automatically logging out

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
One of our new members is having some trouble with the site automatically logging her out every few minutes or so. I have never heard of this problem and wasn't sure how to address it. I told her I was going to post a copy of the pm she sent me here so that we might be able to get some help

Hi Squirtle!
Thanks for your kind reply and offer to help with the logout.
I do not get an error message. What happens is I'll log in, read a few posts, decide I might want to reply, and when I hit 'submit' poof I get a screen saying I am not authorized bla bla bla and may need to log in. So I log in and fortunately whatever I have typed has been saved (I have learned the hard way on other forums to save posts before I submit because sometimes you get a page refresh and everything is GONE) and then I can post.
Or suddenly I see that the times for the most recent posts have reverted back to GMT or whatever the default is.
Some forums let you choose how long to stay logged in. Maybe this feature is disabled for newbies??
Thanks

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Hmmmm odd indeed. This is usually a browser issue, as our forums are set to use long term cookies. I'll ask Tyler to take a look.

cheeseface

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've helped people with this problem twice. It is most likely a software firewall setting that is getting rid of the cookies, such as ZoneAlarm and Norton. Other security programs may be doing the same thing. I recommend checking the help files or cookie settings to fix that. Also, when you do get it fixed, make sure you click the "remember me" box the next time you login to TCS.

I even experienced this myself with ZoneAlarm, but was able to configure it properly.

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've also assisted several new members encountering this same problem, with the trick being simply to log out then log back in being sure to check the "remember me" box.

tyler

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Either they're not accepting cookies/sessions (as already stated) or they are going beyond the 900 seconds (without checking remember me when they logged in).

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That was happening to me the other day here at work so i pm'd Tyler. But heres something strange. I ticked the remember me box yesterday, forgot to uncheck it when i logged out to go home ( Just incase anyone uses my computer), but when i came in this morning i still had to log in as usual and i've never had the problem since?!

2dogmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm, thanks. I am the one having the problem.
I did not want to check the 'remember me' box-since I cannot rule out other people using my computer I try to not have automatic logins. But I will try it and see what happens. Still obviously I have cookies enabled, otherwise I would not be able to log in at all (right?).
I have tried setting the cookie handler to "allways allow" for this site, maybe the problem will go away.
Thanks for the replies!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by 2dogmom

Hmmm, thanks. I am the one having the problem.
I did not want to check the 'remember me' box-since I cannot rule out other people using my computer I try to not have automatic logins. But I will try it and see what happens. Still obviously I have cookies enabled, otherwise I would not be able to log in at all (right?).
I have tried setting the cookie handler to "allways allow" for this site, maybe the problem will go away.
Thanks for the replies!
Keep us updated and let us know if you have any more trouble

tyler

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rosiemac

That was happening to me the other day here at work so i pm'd Tyler. But heres something strange. I ticked the remember me box yesterday, forgot to uncheck it when i logged out to go home ( Just incase anyone uses my computer), but when i came in this morning i still had to log in as usual and i've never had the problem since?!
Odd
Maybe try clearing your cookies, and repeat to see if that happens again?

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to tick the remember me box every time I log in or it will not log in log in
it shows the thank you for logging in box but doesn't change from the standard "skin"? and doesn't let me post.

tyler

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This sure gets odder. I just logged out, and logged in without checking it. It changed skins and then I'm able to post. How odd.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Can you maybe check the "remember me" box. Then, when you're done just use the "log out" feature and it will clear your cookie so nobody will be able to post under your username.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know if this makes any difference, or matters one way or the other... but prior to last weeks upgrade, by default 'remember me' was always checked. That changed after the upgrade and now you have to manually select it.

2dogmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well if I check 'remember me' I stay logged in.

If I log in without checking remember me I get logged out automatically and 900 sec sounds about right. It does not change the skin on me, then again I did not change that setting so I am using the forum default anyway.

Setting explorer to always allow cookies from thecatsite made NO difference. I guess I will just check the box and try to remember to uncheck it.